he nodded, not really saying anything.

it kept like that for a while, the two of them just looking to the horizon, the only thing to be heard was the whistling wind and the crashing of the winds. it was calm, peaceful- and cadie smiled, not even noticing she was humming. it was only after a while percy said, "what song's that?"

"hm?" she spoke, jumping slightly, seeming to finally realised she wasn't alone, "no- i.... it's just a made up melody."

"it's good," percy said, almost like a compliment (maybe it was- but cadie wasn't sure if compliments were meant to make her feel so funny). he added with a small smile, "maybe it's a euterpe thing."

"i'm not sure i can say that," cadie mumbled, "i've never met many kids of muses... we're kinda rare. i think- or maybe..." her voice lowered, "maybe none of them make it to camp." she snorted, "maybe they have their own camp. full of peacefulness." she turned to percy, weirdly a bit more comfortable with him (although trust her- her heart was beating really fast), and laughed, "imagine if there was another camp for demigods." she shook her head, "goodness knows what it'd be like."

"maybe they have better cabins," added percy as an afterthought.

"maybe," hummed cadie, closing her eyes, "sorry about circe's island."

"why are you still sorry? you did nothing wrong," percy said, shaking his head, "honestly- we just sprung the quest up on you randomly. you didn't even want to go. if anything i should be sorry. and to be honest- we should probably apologize again."

"maybe no more apologizing," cadie said, "too much weird emotional baggage."

"solid advice," snorted percy. "...is it weird that you don't have your own cabin?"

"what do you mean?" she mumbled, furrowing her eyebrows, "not really? why? i mean... apollo kids are fairly similar to me. except... uh- louder, a bit more extraverted. not so... clumsy? i dunno. i like them. they're my family at camp."

"huh," nodded percy, "and so the muse of music's daughter jig... that fun?"

she didn't know what had brought on all these questions- but she wasn't going to argue with it. she thought about it for a few moments, before finally answering, "i mean- apart from the whole prophecy thing? it's okay. uh... kinda wish the prophecy wasn't an add-on, though."

"you talk about it so calmly," percy said, before adding, "your prophecy, i mean."

"i've had time to process it," cadie responded, "around three years. i mean... it's a bit depressing to find at the age of ten that you might... die. but i guess the way i cope is just ignoring it and planning the future. even... even if i might not get to fulfil it."

"well what would you want to do? what's your plan?" percy asked.

"writing and composing music," cadie said simply, "which- i mean it's very stereotypical of me? i mean my mom's the muse of music- so typical enough. but i'd like to be able to let people enjoy music- not find it... find it as a curse as i strangely have to."

and she didn't even stop- not even noticing she was rambling, "i mean music is part of me. it's how i cope. it's how i also forget about the death thing- even if i'm prophesied to sing myself to death. it's calming... nice... and i think people should be allowed to just express their happiness, or listen to something that brings them joy..." she trailed off, her cheeks growing hot as she realised she was rambling.

"sorry," she mumbled, "you should've stopped me- i ramble too much. seriously dude- i could've gone on for hours hadn't i realised."

he laughed, shaking his head, "you know- for somebody who could barely string a sentence together when i first met you... you really do talk a lot."