Chapter 19: The Secret's Out

"Are you feeling alright, Nico? You look....happier than usual." Will said to Nico as he was walking to the breakfast table.

   Indeed Nico was happier than usual. He had a hint of a smile on his face, and he wasn't scowling like usual. He didn't even scowl when Will said that.

   "Do you know what today is, Will?"

   Will scratched his head in confusion. "Um, Tuesday?"

   "No! Well, yeah, but that's not what I meant. It's October 1st."

   Will stared at him blankly.

   "You know. Halloween month."

   "Oh! That's why you're so happy? Well, whatever makes you smile!"

   Nico rolled his eyes.

   "So what was Halloween like back in the 1930's?" Will asked him.

   "Most people wore classical outfits like skeletons and witches and mummies. Trick or treating was just becoming a thing in the late 30's and so was bobbing for apples"

   "Really?"

   "Can I eat my breakfast in peace, Solace?"

   After breakfast was over, Will bothered Nico with more questions.

   "What're you going to be for Halloween?"

   Nico laughed bitterly. "You think I'm going to dress up? I haven't dressed up since I lived in the past. Plus it's for kids."

   "Um, we are kids."

   "No, I mean like younger kids."

   "Nico, everyone will be dressed up! You don't want to be the odd one out, do you?"

   Nico stopped walking to clean his plate and turned to face Will, looking him dead in the eye. "Really, Will? I'm always the odd one out, no matter what I wear. Everyone looks at me funny. They either hate me or are scared of me. And when I'm not being ridiculed, everyone forgets I exist. And when it comes to costumes, I think my day to day outfit qualifies enough."

   "I didn't mean-"

   "I know you didn't. "

   "Nico, you need to stop thinking about yourself like that! There are people who don't look at you weirdly, people who notice you for who you are! Hazel, Jason, Reyna, Gleeson, Percy, Annabeth, Piper, Lou Ellen, Cecil, me! And I'm sure there's more!"

   "Why do you care so much, Will?! Why?! I just don't get it! You're popular, cool, nice, why would you want to hang out with someone like me?! Some misfit, some weird son of Hades?! Why me?!" Nico yelled.

   "Isn't wanting to be your friend enough?! Gods, you're so damn stubborn, Nico!" Will's expression was stern, and Nico was surprised to hear him lose his cool like that.

   "Nico, please. There are so many reasons why I want to be your friend. Can't you just accept that people want to be your friend and not be so self-destructive? All you ever do is mope around saying how you'll never fit in. Well maybe you should give it a try! Being a son of Hades isn't as bad as you make it out to be! Look at Hazel! She's literally a Centurion! You're not an outcast! At least not anymore!"

   "No! You don't understand, Will! You'll never understand!" Nico yelled back, on the verge of tears.

   "What are you talking about? You can talk to me!"

   "Fine! You really want me to talk, huh? Fine then!"

   "So talk!"

   "I'm gay!" A single tear rolled down his face, but he quickly wiped it away.

   Will fell silent. His expression softened, and he tried to take Nico's arm. Nico swatted it away.

   "Now you know my big secret. Now you can go tell the whole camp, and I can leave like I was originally going to do. Like I've been doing for the past 4 years."

   "Nico, there's nothing wrong with being gay. You really thought I was going to tell everyone and make fun of you? You really thought I would do that?" He looked hurt. Nico started to regret what he just said.

   "I'm going to my cabin. And don't you dare follow me unless you want to be the next one in the infirmary."