Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Oɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

She went back to ignoring the boys, grabbing her second slice of pizza, slamming the box shut and handing it gently to Dustin.

"Here, you can give this to Nancy." She chuckled teasingly.  Dustin rolled his eyes but took the box and set it on the floor.

"Wait, did you hear that?" Mike interrupted the exchange by pounding his fists on the table. "Boom, boom, boom!  That didn't come from the Troglodytes, no.  That came from something else."

The room was silent and the boys unconsciously leaned forward in anticipation.

"The DEMOGORGON." Mike finished, slamming his fists on the table once more for effect.  The boys all flinched back, Genie felt a hand clutch her forearm on either side.  With an eye roll the girl sighed.

"You didn't see that coming?" She sounded exasperated.

"Oh we totally did." Lucas gasped, his face still looking shocked.  Genie laughed and leaned her elbows on the table.

"We're in deep shit!" Dustin exclaimed.

"Will, your action." Mike glanced at the smallest of the boys who had wide eyes.

"I don't know!" Will squeaked nervously.

"Fireball him!" Lucas suggested.

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!  It's too risky!"

"Cast a protection spell!" Dustin yelled from beside Genie who was suddenly hooked on their little game.

"Don't be a pussy! Fireball him!" Lucas snapped. Genie watched silently with anticipation.

Mike hit the table again, ceasing their arguing.  "The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stomps towards you, BOOM!"

The table erupted into chaos, the four boys screaming at each other with Genie leaning back on her chair with a smile etched across her face. Will was looking from Dustin to Lucas and back again as the two of them shouted 'fireball!' Or 'cast protection!' Finally the boy glanced at Genie who mouthed 'fireball' with a mischievous grin. Will smiled and slammed the die down.

"Fireball!" He shouted, the die flying off the table and onto the floor.

"Oh shit." Lucas mumbled as he fell to the ground and joint the search for the die.  "You gonna help?"

Genie laughed and slid off her chair, joining them as they patted the floor.

"Mike!" Mrs Wheeler called from upstairs. Mike ignored her.

Around her the boys were complaining in frustration, mainly Dustin.

"Mike!" Mrs Wheeler repeated, coming slightly down the stairs.

"Mom!" Mike began, shifting so he sat on his knees. "We're in the middle of a campaign!"

"You mean the end of one?  15 after." Mrs Wheeler tapped her watch, raising an eyebrow at Mike and walking back upstairs.  Mike sighed and ran after her.

"There's no hope." Genie sighed as she moved to a cross-legged position.  The boys sighed and Dustin began shrugging on his jacket.