five-the report

Friday finally arrived, and unfortunately, so did the report. Officially, a week (workday week) had passed during the time that the Selection had started, which called for the most unfortunate part of the entire blasted thing. 

The Report. 

The Report was a bugging channel that focused only on the lives of the royal family and high tokened celebrities (such as myself) for greater attention from fans. 

But sadly, this was the only connection I had to my mother because I knew she really did love The Selection. She even used to be friends (surprisingly nothing else) with Phoebus Apollo, the host of The Report. 

I gathered myself as I got out of bed, greeted by the maids who rushed around my room, preparing baths and setting up accessories that would all be necessary for today. The dress I would wear was set up on a headless mannequin, and I walked over to it, placing my hand on the fabric. 

It was a pale blue silky gown, with an unnatural glimmer and white lace at the edges of the hem. The blouse was off-shoulder with long puffy sleeves. It was simple and appealing, how rarely it shone. 

"Is this my dress?" I asked, to particularly no one. 

The maids all paused. 

"Is it not to your liking, miss?"

"No, no, just asking," I bit my lip, "Did anyone request me to wear it?" 

Lucy nodded, "Indeed. I believe it was your friend, Lady Annabeth." 

I gulped. What was she doing?

There was no other way to make last-minute changes now. I would have to wear the dress and try not to get seen by anyone. Specifically Percy. I sighed and tried a smile in the mirror, "It's fine. This is fine. Everything's fine."

"Miss, the bath is ready."

I walked into the bathroom, blasted by a wave of steam, and the maids helped me get into the bath. 

"Phoebe, did Annabeth do anything else besides recommend the dress design?"

"Oh yes. She gave us this wonderful perfume and soap, plus a bit of jewelry," Phoebe said as she scrubbed my arm, "Is something wrong, miss? Would you like something else?"

Perfume, soap, and jewelry. Annabeth was definitely up to something. And if it is was I thought it was, she was going to be in big trouble. 

"No, it's fine. Use everything she gave us. If Lady Annabeth gave us a gift, then no reason we shouldn't use it." 

---

I walked into the room, two other Selected by my side, and immediately saw Annabeth talking to someone. 

Percy.

Well, maybe I would talk to her later then-

"Marissa!" Annabeth called out, "Come on over!" 

Oh, she is so dead.

"Annabeth!" I drawled out, "Prince Perseus! Hi..." My voice quieted as I quickly glanced at Percy and then looked back at Annabeth. 

"You're looking absolutely stunning today, what an interesting dress design, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before."

"Of course, you have you little b- I mean," I changed my voice when Annabeth shook her head violently while Percy was looking at me, "Yes. It is. Rember that funny moment like, 13 years ago, at camp during the farewell party. I wore a dress like this." I gritted my teeth while glaring at Annabeth, hiding my face from Percy.