one- i'm what?!

Marissa P.O.V

---

My fingers trembled as I studied the envelope in my hands. My weak mother sat next to me closely craning her neck to look as closely as possible without straining her body too much. My fingers stopped working once they touched the bright red seal. 

"I can't do it!" I threw down the envelope and my mother frowned. 

"Marissa, if you pick up that envelope, I swear, much will change for you. You'll have everything you need." My mother said.

"I already have everything I need! But even will all these riches, nothing will work. I can't even save you with all the money I have!" I exclaimed. My mother's frown deepened when it got to the "saving" part. She raised her finger and signaled me to come closer.

"It's not the money I'm talking about. It's your heart." She jabbed the place in my chest where my heart would be, "That piece of your soul that has been broken so many times. Now don't tell me what I'm saying is not true. I am your mother Marissa, and I've watched you my entire life. And I will." She kissed my forehead with her dry lips.

"Now open it." she commanded. 

I sighed and picked up the envelope. Breaking open the seal, I pulled out the letter and started reading out loud:

"Dear Marissa McLean, 

Thank you for applying for the Selection. 

On June 25th, you will arrive at the airport and enter flight 828 using the ticket given to you in this envelope. Once you arrive at the castle, you will report to the main hall, where then, lead by your supervisor, you will take a tour of the castle. Copies of the castle groundfloors will be left in your rooms. 

Once at the castle, you will receive 3 maids who will attend to your need. Please do not take your power for granted. You will be expected to participate in meeting in the Women's Room, classes, mealtimes, and reports."

Thank you and we hope to see you there.

Sincerely, 

The Royal Family."

Out from the envelope fell out a plane ticket and a rules and regulations form, as well as a list of things to bring, which was barely anything, except for a list of measurements for dresses.

I gasped. 

"I'm in the Selection."

"Yes, darling?"

"I'm in the Selection!" I let out a tiny squeal and squeezed my mother, but loose enough to give her air to breathe. 

I jumped around in excitement and then tumbled down. 

"I'm in the Selection," I repeated, my voice hollow now. My stomach twisted in knots. I curled up in a ball, "I'm in the Selection." I said, my voice coming out muffled. 

"You seem at war with yourself." My mother said. 

"Well, if I'm at the Selection, then who's going to take care of you?" I asked her. Her lips became a straight line. 

"We'll find someone. Besides, I'll be fine." Aphrodite said. Behind her mask of happiness, I could see the fear in her eyes. I knew my mother too well to be fooled by her tricks. 

"I'm not going. I'll tell them I'm not." I sighed. 

"No! You will go. And that is a command, young lady." my mother cupped my face and kissed my forehead, "Now turn on the TV, I want to see the show."

---

As Prince Perseus listed names, I was busy staring at the boxes that he was pulling names from in shock. 

A few names that he had called were Drew Tanaka, a famous model, and 3, Annabeth Chase, daughter of Commander Chase, and a 2 (also someone I had a great past with). The one that stunned me the most was Princess Piper McLean of France, a 1. And she was going to be in the Selection. 

I should've known this wasn't going to be that easy. 

I was nothing close to interested in Prince Perseus. We had a fun childhood, until the end of it that is. 

Therefore, I wanted nothing to do with him. 

But who knows what The Selection might bring? Certainly (hopefully) not pain and suffering, am I right?

He continued listing names and my mother stared at the screen in a somewhat amused, yet shocked face. Her eyebrows particularly raised higher at the mention of the princess of France. What can I say? A princess in a prince's selection is pretty shocking. 

Several hours later, I was done with everything. 

Packing and the Selection. 

Even though it was only just beginning, something bothered me about it. Whether it was just my past or the fact that there was a lot of competition, I didn't know. 

But maybe, just maybe, a little bit of a long ride to a castle might help me figure it out. 

hello everyoneeee!

so that is the first chapter of the new reinvented "The Selection" fanfic! 

i hope you like the new reinvention, but can i just say, writing this now (i am writing this before publishing) is making me both excited and nervous. it's a little different than before, but then again, the same. 

so i hope y'all like the story so far!

on to chapter 2!!!!