"I might not know what it's like to have someone important be taken away, but I know what it's like to lose something. My parents they..." she stopped for a moment to compose herself, and I cuddled into her side further, hoping my presence would provide her with comfort, as I draped a hand over her stomach, "Before, I said that it didn't bother me as much because I didn't know what it was like to have a family, to begin with. But that isn't entirely true. I mean, I have eyes, you know," she sniffled and my heart ached for the girl who, despite all the hardships in her life, remained kind and innocent. Cheerful and full of life, even if it wasn't always genuine. Not until I showed up at least, she would say.

"All those movies, all the other parents I would see picking their kids up from school, all those parents in the books I've read; I knew what a family looked like. Despite never experiencing it myself, I knew it wasn't supposed to be like this. And after a while I realized they discarded me, that I wasn't good enough. That once it was clear I had no intention of being their perfect heir, I had no place in their hearts. I never knew what it was like to receive a loving hug from your mom or have your father give you a piggyback. The maids they hired brought me up and the only attention I ever got from them was when they'd give me gifts I never even asked for, to, I don't know, make up for their lack of presence, I suppose. As if that could fill the void they left behind,"

"Lisa, I'm-" I tried to console her as I made a move to sit up properly and look at her, but she cut me off and pulled me into her again.

"No, let me finish," she pleaded, and I nodded against her chest, tightening my hold on her, wishing that she could feel my love. That she knew she would never have to be alone again, "Once they realized I wasn't what they needed, they didn't want me anymore," Lisa concluded, wiping at her eyes swiftly as if trying to hide it from me.

"What I'm trying to say is, don't let anger hinder you. Don't let that hidden resentment, you might think you don't carry in your heart, hold you back. There's nothing to save for me, they don't want me and made it abundantly clear. But your parents, they realize their mistakes and they want to fix them, Rosie. I'm not saying you should forgive them because what they did is unforgivable, I'm just saying perhaps you should give it a try before it's too late," she paused and this time I didn't try to say anything in retaliation, instead gave her time to collect her thoughts.

"Night changes, Rosie. What is there one day, might not be the next. We don't know what the future holds. Do you really want to spend your life away from them? They're your family, they love you, and they want you back. You should talk to them before it's too late or you'll grow to regret it. I never got the chance to have proper parents, but you do. You can change how things are, don't let that go to waste,"

"What are you saying?" I asked quietly.

"I'm saying that you should give them a chance. Hear them out. Go spend the holidays with them next time. They want you, Rosie. Even if they made their mistakes in their past, they see them clearly and they want to make up for the time they have lost. They can't make it right, no one can, but they can try to be there now if you let them."

"Okay," I nodded against her chest, the sound of my voice muffled as I pressed a kiss into her chest.

"Yeah?" she asked gently and cupped my jaw to get me to look at her.

"Yeah," I smiled and leaned up, nudging her nose with mine, "I guess it wouldn't hurt to come home for Christmas," Lisa returned my smile and leaned down to kiss me but I put a finger against her lips before she could, "Under one condition,"

"What is it?" she asked curiously, her head tilting to the side adorably, as it always did, making my heart flutter at the sight.

"You'll come with me,"