Staring At The End

NEWT POV

A man stands with his back to us, muttering.

"Rose took my nose, I suppose. Rose took my nose, I suppose. Suppose, suppose, took my nose... I suppose." He hears us and turns around. "Gally, glad to see you made it back. Jasper told me what happened. It was a slaughter." He says, grabbing an IV with a little bit of blue liquid at the bottom of the bag.

"There's nothing we could do against those guns." Gally says. 

"No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung." He steps closer to us. "Now, who are these people? Why are they here?" 

"We need to get into WICKED." Thomas says. "Gally said you can get us through the walls." 

"Gally should know better than to make promises that he can't keep. Besides, that wall is only half your problem. Getting inside WICKED is impossible." He says, the wheels on his IV squeaking. 

"There might be a way now. But it doesn't work without Thomas." Gally says, glancing at Thomas.

"Is that so?" Lawrence walks right up to Thomas, their faces inches apart. My heart beats faster. "Do you know what I am... Thomas? I am a businessman. Which means that I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?" 

"'Cause I can help you. You see, if you can get me through those walls... I can get you what you need." Thomas says, meeting the man's eyes.

"What is it that you think I need?" He asks

"Time." Thomas says simply

"Is that what I need?" Lawrence asks 

"WICKED has something we both want." Thomas says firmly. 

"I'll tell you what. Two can go for now." He says, gesturing at me and Thomas. "The rest stay down here with me. Just a little insurance to make sure you find your way back. We have a deal?" Thomas shakes his hand. "Gally, show him the way."

"This is a long way from the Glade." I say, glancing around the booming city. 

"Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew. " An electronic voice calls. "Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance."

"Yeah, we better get off these streets. And I know it's hard, but act like you've seen it before." Gally says. I grab Thomas's hand as we walk. This city makes me uneasy. "They've definitely upped security. I'm guessing you shanks have something to do with that." I chuckle. "All right, let's get outta here." We walk to a stone wall. "All right, Newt, you're up."

I scramble up the wall with Gally's help. He offers to help Thomas but he refuses. 

"I got it." Thomas says, hopping up and retaking my hand. 

We stand by a stone ledge. They have some sort of binoculars.  

"There it is." Gally says. "If WICKED's got Minho, that's where they'll be keeping him. Lawrence has been trying to find a way in for years. Place is crawling with soldiers. They got surveillance everywhere. Scanners on every floor."

"Sounds like a bloody fortress." I say, glancing at it, moving closer to Thomas.

"Yeah, I thought you said you had a way in." Thomas asks.

"I might." Gally says.

"You might?" Thomas asks angrily. "What the hell do you mean "might"?"

I put my hand on his shoulder. "It's okay."