The Self-Destruct Button

NEWT POV

"What the hell was that?" Thomas asks, his voice filled with fear.

I move so we sit next to each other. "That, Thomas, was a Griever. But don't worry, you're safe here with me." I say. "Nothing gets through those walls." 

We sit on his hammock. 

"But-" He starts.

"Thomas!" I say, chuckling. "I'm serious."

He nods. He stares out at the wall. "What if I want to go out there?"

"You don't." I say simply. "You really don't want to go out there."

"But what if I could find a way out, Newt?" He asks me.

"Thomas, if the Runners can't, then you can't." I say. "Trust me."

He sighs. "If you say so..."

"Thomas, you just have to trust me on this, okay?" I say, knowing I can't really convince him against it but desperately wanting to.

"I do." He says. "Trust you. But I'm pretty sure it's not that simple."

I nod. "It isn't, Greenie. It really isn't."

Later, I wake Thomas. 

"Thomas!" I hiss. "I have to show you something!"

He gets out of bed groggily. "Ugh, Newt, where are you taking me?"

I grab his hand and pull him up. "Just come on."

I walk with him to the wall of our names. I hand him a knife.

"Your turn." I tell him.

He smiles at me. He carves his name right next to mine. 

"Now come on." I say. "We have things to do."

Thomas looks around while we garden. "Has anyone ever tried climbing to the top?" He asks me.

"Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top." I say, leaning on my shovel. "And besides, where would you go from there?"

"What about the Box? You know next time it comes up-"

"No, we tried that." I say, looking at him. "The Box won't go back down with someone inside it."

"Okay, what about-" 

"No. We tried it, alright?" I say, trying to get him to understand. "Twice. All right? Trust me. Anything you can think of, we've already tried. The only way out of here is through the maze. Now here, you wanna be helpful, go dig up some more fertilizer." I say, handing him the basket. 

He walks away, mumbling to himself. I feel bad sending him away, but he was reminding me of things I didn't want to be reminded of. I run a hand through my hair, watching him enter the forest.

Soon, he runs out, shouting for help. Ben chases him. My heart sinks. He's been stung. I run over and hit Ben over the head with my shovel. 

"HOLD HIM DOWN!" I shout. 

They do and I run over to Thomas. 

"Hey, are you alright?" I ask.

He nods, panting and sweating.

"CALM DOWN, BEN!" Gally shouts.

"What the hell happened?" I ask.

"He just attacked me!" Thomas cries.