One Step Too Far

THOMAS POV

Newt and I sit in the back of a truck, headed towards somewhere Marcus pointed us to. Brenda sits in the front with Jorge. Teresa sits next to me too, her arms folded across her chest. Aris, Minho and Fry sit in the middle row. Newt puts his head on my shoulder. I smile. Then, Jorge sputters the vehicle to a stop. 

"I guess we go on foot." He says, gesturing to a mass of cars in front of us. 

We get out of the car and I take Newt's hand, intertwining our fingers. Then, a gunshot wizzes by our heads. Newt pushes me to the ground and kneels beside me. I can practically hear his heart beat. 

"Is everyone okay?" Jorge asks.

"We're fine!" I call.

"Does anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt asks angrily. I chuckle slightly.

"That son of a bitch Marcus." Jorge says. "He led us into an ambush."

Jorge hands me something, a bomb. I feel Newt stiffen beside me. 

"Here. Take this." He says. "Get ready to throw it."

Then, I hear the cock of a gun.

"Drop it." A voice says. I don't. "I said drop it!" I do. "On your feet, let's go!"

I stand and see a woman with darkish skin and deep brown hair. Newt stands too and takes my hand possessively, standing about 2 inches in front of me, yet still next to me.

"You two!" She shouts at Aris and Teresa. "Over here, now." She sees Aris. "Oh my god, Aris?"

"Harriet?" He says. 

He rushes over and hugs the strange woman. Newt gives me a weird look and I return it. 

"Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot your dumb ass!" She says, pulling away.

"What's happening?" Newt asks Aris.

"We were in the Maze together!" Aris explains happily. 

"Stand down!" Harriet shouts and people emurge, lowering guns and waving.

NEWT POV

We walk in some kind of base, a blonde girl taking us around.

"You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light." She tells us. "Where's Vince?" 

"Somewhere over there, I think." Someone says.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas asks

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay." Harriet says.

"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army." Thomas says incredulously. I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, we were. This is all that's left of us. Lot of good people died getting us this far." A man who I guess is Vince says, walking over. "Who are they?" 

"They're Immunes. Caught 'em coming up the mountain." Harriet says, gesturing at us. 

"Did you check 'em?" Vince asks, eyeing us.

"I know this guy, Aris. I trust him." Harriet says, smiling at Aris.

"Well, I don't. Check 'em." Vince growls.

Then, Brenda collapse, wheezing.

"Brenda! Brenda! What's going on? Brenda! Brenda. Brenda, talk to me. What's going on with her?" Jorge panics. Someone restrains him as he attempts to move to her.