I Will Survive

NEWT POV

I fall backwards as the fence beside us quakes. I see...a girl? No, I think, shaking my head. She's...something else. Her eyes are scratched out and bloody and she's covered in thick, purple veins, blisters of bitter red crackling across her body. 

I jump up and pull Thomas up with me. 

"What the hell is that thing?" He asks me.

I shake my head. Then, it gives an inhuman groan, halfway between a frog croak and the sound of someone in immense pain. I jump back.

"We gotta go!" Thomas shouts, grabbing my hand as we run. 

Then, at least 5 more of these creatures start to run after us, making the same noise. I start to panic, running faster. We see the others and start shouting.

"HEY!" I cry. "RUN!" 

When we reach them, Minho tosses Thomas his bag and we start to sprint down a hallway. My legs scream in protest but I ignore it, Thomas's hand firmly holding mine. 

We run along a some sort of balcony when one of the things jumps at me, snapping it's teeth at me.

"AH!" 

It's fingers wrap around my wrists in a death grip and blinding pain in my right one threatens to make me pass out. Then, somehow, I push the thing off of me and Thomas pulls me up.

"Newt, you alright?" He asks me.

I nod, though the pain in my wrist makes my walking slightly ragged. He narrows his eyes in concern but nods and allows us to keep going. We turn a hallway and see doors but they're all locked.

"It's a dead end!" I cry. 

Then, we see one is held on by a breaking hinge and Thomas rams his arm against it. Frypan takes out a pistol and begins shooting the creatures. He finally gets it open and we run in, but Winston is grabbed by the monsters.

"WINSTON!" I shout.

We pull on his arms as the things grab at his exposed flesh, ripping holes in his stomach as easily as ripping paper. He screams until we get him free and Thomas and I push the door closed and the others run. He turns to me.

"NEWT GO!" He cries. "I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!"

I look at him. "Be safe, Tommy." I say.

He smiles slightly but nods and I sprint away.

Soon, we all collapse under some kind of stone structure. My wrist sears in red-hot pain. My vision spots. The others tend to Winston but Thomas kneels in front of me.

"Are you okay?" He asks me.

I fear if I open my mouth I'll throw up so I just nod.

"It hurt your wrist, didn't it?" He pries. 

I nod again, a bead of sweat dripping down my temple. 

"But..." I choke. "I'm fine."

Thomas slaps his arms against his legs in exasperation. "Newt, I swear to god..." He says. "You don't have to be fine." He tells me. "That...thing hurt you. Bad." 

"Winston's...worse." I pant.

"Just because he's worse doesn't mean you aren't hurt too, you shank." He says.

"It's just a broken wrist, Tommy." I say, the pain distracting. "I'm fine."

"God..." He sighs. "You know you're impossible, right?"