Here's To Future Days

NEWT POV

I put my hands on Thomas's arm.

"Thomas." I say gently. "Thomas. Thomas!" I wake him. "We have to go. Come on."

We get off of the helicopter and into a building, people with guns shouting and shooting, leading us inside. 

We sit in a room off of the main building. Thomas sits next to me.

"You okay?" He asks me.

"I'm fine." I say. "Just..." I shake my head. "I dunno."

He puts his arm around my shoulder and my eyes widen.

"Thomas, what are you doing?" I ask.

"Shut up and accept it." He says. So I do.

Then, a man comes in. He has peppered hair and wears a black button down shirt with crisp grey pants.

"You kids doing alright?" He asks us as we stand. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?" Thomas asks. I realize his arm hasn't moved. And I don't mind. 

"I'm the reason you're all still alive." He says, looking at me. "And I intend to keep you that way. Now come with me."

We follow him down a hallway.

"We'll get you kids squared away. You can call me Mr. Janson." He says. "I run this place. For us, it's a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world." He opens a door. "You all should think of it as a way station. A kind of home between homes."

"You mean you're taking us home?" I ask hopefully. 

"A home of sorts." He says. "Sadly, there won't be much left of where ever you came from." For some reason my heart drops, even though I never knew where I came from. "But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?" He says.

"Why are you helping us?" Thomas asks and I groan inwardly. 

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation." He says. "We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanities continued survival." He says. "Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as you've not doubt by now noticed. Beyond that door lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first, let's do something about that smell." 

I wince as the water hits my wrist. I tilt my head up towards the faucet and let the water run over my face. I press my palm against the wall of the shower. I sigh and I get out. I get into new clothes. 

I'm led to some kind of medical examination table. I sit down and a man takes out a huge needle.

"Wait, what is that?" I ask.

"Calcium, folate, vitamins A to Z. Pretty much everything you've been deprived of out there. Try to relax." He tells me. 

I stiffen, though, as he presses the needle to my vein.

"Kid, relax or it'll hurt more." He says.

I try to do as he tells me but when the needle goes into my skin I have to bite my lip to keep from screaming. Then, I see someone leading Thomas away. 

"Hey, where are they taking him?" I ask the man giving me my shot, trying to stand.

"Sit back down kid, don't worry about him." He says, putting a firm hand on my chest. 

I resign to sitting down, but I watch Thomas leave, anxiety in my eyes. 

"Kid, he'll be fine." He says.

"Stop calling me that!" I cry. 

I get up and run into Janson. Literally. I rub my forehead.

"Newt..." He says. "What are you doing?"

"That...crony of yours won't let me see Thomas!" I shout.

He puts a hand on my shoulder. "I just finished with him. Why don't you go to him? Down that hallway."

I shrug away his hand and run towards where he pointed. Thomas stands talking to Minho and before I know what I'm doing I jump into his arms.

"Tommy!" I cry. 

He stumbles back, catching me. "Newt, what the-" He says.

"They took you and I thought you were going to die." I say into his shoulder. 

Thomas puts his hand on my back. "I'm alright, Newt, I promise." He says, chuckling slightly. 

I don't want to, but I unwind my arms from his neck. "Sorry." I say quietly.

"Hey, did they fix your wrist?" He asks me. 

"No, but that's probably only cause I didn't tell them." I say.

"WHAT?" He says. "Newt..." 

He gingerly grabs my wrist and I feel like I'm going to pass out from the pain. He sees my expression and lower my wrist gently. 

"Newt, tell them." He says, balancing my fingers on his. 

"I'm fine, Tommy. It's just a broken bone." I say.

Thomas rolls his eyes. "Newt, honestly?"

"Hey, it'll heal properly." He says. "It'll just take time."

"Fine, be an idiot, I don't care." He says.

He pulls me to sit at the table. 

"How long have you guys been here?" Minho asks. 

"Not long." A boy says. "A couple days. That guy over there, he's been here the longest. Almost a week."

I see a boy with his grey hoodie drawn over his head. 

"His maze was nothing but girls." The boy says.

"Really?" Thomas asks.

He nods. "Yeah. Some guys have all the luck."

I glance at Thomas. He's looking at the boy. I wonder what he's thinking. Then, I realize we are still holding hands. My face reddens. I wonder if Thomas realizes. Then, Janson walks to the front.

"Good evening, gentlemen. Ladies. You all know how this works. If you hear your name called...please rise in an orderly fashion, join my me and my colleagues where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin. Connor. Evelyn. Justin. Peter. Allison. Squiggy." Every one laughs. "All right. Settle down. Franklin. And Abigail. Now, now, don't get discouraged. If I take more, I would. There's always tomorrow. Your time will come. Go on, eat up."

I don't eat, because I don't want to stop holding Thomas's hand and my other one is broken. 

"Where are they going?" I ask, ignoring my rumbling stomach.

"Far from here. Lucky bastards." The boy says. "Some kind of farm. A safe place. They can only take a couple people at a time."

Then, we see Teresa pass the window.

"Hey!" Thomas says, dropping my hand and getting up. "TERESA!" He walks over to the window.

"Hey, hey, hey." A man says.

"Where are they taking her?" He asks.

"They just have to run a few more tests." He assures him.

"Is she okay?" 

"She's fine."

A/N: Hey, so, thank you guys so much for actually reading this! It makes me very happy. But, anyway, I wanted to ask you guys something. I know this is a long way away even if it does happen but, should Newt die? I know I'm doing the movies but with Newtmas but I love him and I honestly don't want to kill him. So, just tell me what you think please! xx