Love The One You're With

THOMAS POV

"Brenda, we're coming up behind. Keep 'em busy." I shout into a walkie-talkie. 

"This is crazy, Thomas!" Brenda shouts back.

I laugh. "Get me closer!" I tell Vince. He does and I jump onto the last train compartment. Come on, Vince! Vince! Jump!" I shout. "Shit!" I cry as the car bursts a tire. "JUMP!"

Vince jumps and lands next to me. "Whoa."

I see a large plane type thing fly over our heads. 

"Hey, Brenda, you got company!" I yell. 

"Thomas, you're on your own." She replies after a few minutes. "Don't die. Good luck!" 

We climb onto the roof of the train and rush over five cars ahead. I hop down and gently place a bomb on the latch. I click a button and press myself against the wall of the train. The explosion disconnects the back of the train from the rest and it goes zooming away.

"Newt!" I call. 

He comes out from behind a rock.

I start banging on the train wall. "Come on! Minho! Minho, can you hear me?" I hear the rattling of chains. "This one. This one!" I glance at the sky. "Oh, shit! It's gonna be close. Newt, how you doing?" 

"Don't rush me." He says as he presses a flame to the metal.

"Newt, get up here." I say, climbing the train to stand on the top, a note of anxiety in my voice.

"Almost there." He mutters.

"Newt, go!" I cry and he scrambles up with me. 

We shoot at the WICKED soldier and then Brenda picks up the train compartment just as Vince jumps on.

"WOOHOO!" I shout into the air. 

Newt laughs and throws his arms around my neck.

"We did it, Tommy!" He says gleefully.

I wrap my arms around him and pull him closer.

"I know." I say, chuckling.

He pulls away from me slightly and kisses me gently. I kiss him back. 

"We're all safe now, Thomas." He says. 

I smile and kiss his cheek. "I know."

We jump into the compartment and look for Minho. I look around as Harriet hugs Sonya and Aris.

"He's not here." I say, my heart dropping into my stomach. "We got the wrong one."

NEWT POV

I sit in the crowd as Vince talks to the newbies.

"I know you've all been through hell. I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through this yet. WICKED's still out there. They're not giving up..."

I turn to see Thomas leaning against the wall. I walk over to him.

"Hey." I say. "You okay. You look bloody awful."

"Thanks. You look great too." He says sarcastically. 

"Tommy, you know what I mean." I say.

Then, a pain shoots through my arm and I turn away from him so he doesn't see it in my face. 

"I'm fine, Newt." He says. 

I throw my arm over his shoulder and he slides his around my waist. 

"It's not over, is it?" I ask him.

"No." Thomas sighs. "No, I suppose it isn't."

He kisses my cheek and pulls away.

"Wait, Tommy," I start. "Where are you going?"

"I have..." He thinks. "Things to do.

"What things?" I ask suspiciously.

"Don't worry about it." He says, just raising my suspicions.

I sigh and let him leave. I walk over to Fry. 

"Hey, Fry." I say. 

"Hey, Newt." He says, glancing at me. "Where'd Thomas go?"

I shake my head. "He said he had things to do." I say, doing air quotes. 

Fry chuckles. "Sounds about right."

I sigh and fold my arms across my chest. "He's rather stubborn, isn't he?" I say, chuckling.

Fry laughs. "Yes. Yes he is.

We sit around a map and Thomas pokes a point on the map. 

"Based on the railways, everything that Aris told us, that's gotta be where they're headed. That's where they're taking Minho. We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week." He says, leaning across the table, his breath hitting my face. I shiver.

"A week? It took us six months to get here. We got over 100 kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever after what we just pulled. You wanna wander off to some random point on the map. You don't even know what's there." Vince says angrily. 

"I do. It's been a few years, but I've been there. The Last City. That's what WICKED called it. It was their whole base of operations." Brenda says, hands flat against the table. 

"If that city is still standing, that's the last place you wanna go, hermano. That's the lion's den." Jorge says.

"Yeah, with months of planning, and reliable information, the element of surprise, none of which we have now." Vince insists.

"Vince, I've thought this through. Would you just hear me out?" Thomas asks. 

"The last time we went off half-cocked... I lost everything. You remember that? Look, I know it's Minho. All right? But you can't ask me to put those kids on the line for one man. I won't do it." Vince says, getting in Thomas's face. 

Anger boils in my blood.

I lean against a truck when Thomas comes out. 

"Where do you think you're going then?" I ask him, walking over.

"Newt..." Thomas says, slamming his arms against his sides. 

"Don't be a twat about it. I'm already in." I tell him. "Come on." 

"No. No, not this time. Look, even if we find Minho, there's no guarantee we make it back from this." Thomas says. 

"Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?" I say.

 "Can't you see I'm just trying to protect you!" Thomas cries. "I..." He sighs. "I can't lose you too, Newt."

My defense melts. "Tommy," I say, tears welling in my eyes, knowing my words mean shit. "You won't lose me."

I run over to him and I wrap my arms him, burying my face in his neck, hot tears falling onto his shirt. He pulls me against him. 

"Promise?" He mutters.

I start to shake, even more tears spilling out of my eyes. "Promise." I pull away. "Now please let me help save Minho." I'm sorry, Tommy, I think, I'm so sorry.