Chapter Twenty-Five: Odds and Ends

Two years later...

Dahyun wore a tie messily while her coat was hanging on her shoulders. She stood in front of a tombstone. "Unfair," she calmly said. She had lost all the tears — now used to the feeling. "I should've at least known. Because if I had, I could have swum across the world to be there."

"What are you doing?" She heard a voice from behind. She didn't even have to look back to know that it was Mina. "Didn't she tell you in that letter? You should never blame yourself," Mina said.

"How can I not? I was always with her, but I was clueless. I should have been more observant," Dahyun tensed her jaw, trying to remember the look on Sana's eyes. She hates how she wasn't able to read them. "Now, I'm here, standing and talking about these things in this place for almost two years." Well, she only knew about Sana's condition months after she got left.

Mina understands what she meant, at least. It is truly unfair for Sana to decide on something like that. Considering that they were engaged, and they loved each other that there should have been even just a hint of honesty. Only one bit would be enough. 

"But you know what?" Mina caught Dahyun's attention. With a smiling face, she said, "if I was looking the other way, and I do not know whose tombstone this is, I would have thought Sana died." It caused Dahyun to chuckle. She didn't know she sounded like that.

"Really?" Dahyun could only shake her head.

The older woman only hummed as a response. "If you are only hearing yourself right now. Even the way you are dressed," she uttered. Dahyun looked at her clothes, and she thinks she gets Mina now. "You look miserable."

"Don't I always look like this after meetings?" Dahyun asked, only making the other woman shrugging. The pale one could only heave a sigh before she shifted her gaze back to the tombstone. "Well, she's not here to listen to my rants. Her father is the closest person I know," she said.

"You already know where she is, Dahyun. Just go and find her," Mina suggested, but the other shook her head. Everyone was asking her to do that, yet she is scared of all the 'what ifs'.

One of those is, "what if I find her in her weakest form? What do I do?"

Mina had a blank expression on her face. She didn't expect Dahyun to sound that stupid. "And if you find her in the same position as her father now? Would you rather feel regrets or spend the time you can still have with her?" She asked. "You are smarter than this, Dahyun."

The pale woman couldn't answer to that. She had indeed turned dumb after the day she received that letter. "I wonder how she is doing," she could only mumble.

"Chae told me she's doing better than she was the last week," Mina replied, and it took out at least a tiny bit of the burden inside Dahyun's chest. A sigh got heard from the older woman. She said, "do something for yourself, Dahyun."

"I can't," she finally spoke. "She asked me not to find her. That was the last favor she asked me, so how can I break it?" Dahyun shut her eyes, knowing how many regrets she would get once things happen. "You know me, Mina-unnie. I always do what I want, but when she asks me something... I can't break it." She looked back to her sister. "She is my life's decision. My heart never listens to me, but her. It is like she really owns it."

Mina smiled and said, "well, doesn't she actually own it?" She gave up trying to convince Dahyun because she is pretty sure her younger sister would come to her senses one day.

"Hmm. Things are a bit different for me now," the pale woman said before turning back to the tombstone. "I love and hate her at the same time. Sometimes I seem to hate her more," she honestly said before walking away.