"Hmm yeah, on second thought, you don't deserve my compassion, after all. I should just go to bed and leave you here to suffer," I mocked him with a yawn.

Vincent snorted. The smirk on his face fell into a weak lingering smile that barely covered his face. He slid down the door until he was sitting on the floor. I watched him pull his phone out and tap the screen.

"There's ten minutes left." He flashed me the time on his screen. "Will you sit with me for the rest of my birthday then?"

"You want me to . . . sit with you? Are you serious?"

"You might as well. This is only a one-time offer. I wouldn't expect anything more."

I mumbled while walking towards him, "If this is still your way of being kind to me, I just want you to know, you still suck at it."

"Whoever said anything about being kind?" He cackled under his breath.

I pulled my oversized shirt over my knees as I plopped down onto the floor. I'd made sure I was sitting beside him, but a few feet away, with my back to the wall. There was a dumbfounded expression on my face as I stared at him. He was staring ahead.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He sighed.

"Looking at you like what?" I touched my face with both of my hands.

"Like . . . never mind," he said, shaking his head.

I stared at him again. It was hard to tell what he was thinking at this moment. I'd established a few of his traits. When he was alone, he was much different than when he was around other people. Less worried. More comfortable. Sure, he wasn't as overwhelmingly nice to me.

But he seemed more at ease that way—in a personal environment where he didn't need to sugarcoat or put on a nice guy act constantly. It was like playing on his own terms. No pressure to take shit from people like Hudson. No pressure to always greet people with respect.

It was similar to working in retail or the fast-food industry. I hated having to smile and respect people all the time, even if they were rude and nasty to me. Especially if I wanted to keep my job. I was sure there were some alpha's who were incredibly rude to their people.

Vincent could have even demanded the respect like Amaruq seemed to do. But it was clear he wanted to earn Calamitous' respect. I used to think I wanted that same overwhelmingly kind aura he tried to provide. But the more I thought about it, his personality towards everyone else revolved around nothing, other than that formality.

I'd come to terms with the fact that I didn't want him to act formal in my presence. I knew how to handle my own. I could tolerate the snarky remarks, the blunt, direct comments, and the random acts of kindness. I could also force the kindness out of him if I wanted to. It was all a part of what made it interesting.

"Stop staring at me and spit it out already." Vincent allowed his head to hit the door with a gentle thud. His head turned lazily to the side, in my direction, one of his eyebrows lifted at me.

"Do you like being alpha?" I blurted.

He shrugged. "It's my responsibility."

"That's not what I asked."

He went quiet. ". . .I wasn't going to accept the title."

"Huh?"

"I was going to refuse the title as alpha and turn down the throne."

"Wait, seriously? You mean that? Why?" My lips curved into a frown.

"Because I was never fit to be a leader."