Chapter 10

Act One, Scene Ten

Adanced Potions

Albus was walking to the potions dungeon, where Fleet asked him to be for his advanced lessons. He entered, selecting a cauldron and putting his textbook into his bag. Professor Fleet was circling the room, passing around slips of parchment.

Professor Fleet: Hello, and welcome, advanced fourth-years! Today you will be tested on your talent for potion-making. Each and every one of you here was recommended for this advanced class by your professor, but only a select few of you will make it. On all of your desks will be a late fifth year-level potion which will be what you are assessed on. This evaluation is to be completed with a closed textbook. You are now permitted to see which potion you are brewing.

Albus flips over the slip of parchment. Written on it was'Laughing Potion'. He then set the parchment of the desk facedown and went to select his ingredients. When he got back to his cauldron, he took a deep breath and whispered to himself.

Albus (muttering to himself): This better be good. Your one chance to get above the others is now. 

Albus knew the recipe by heart, spending hours on end reviewing it, making his other grades go down, but he needed this. It meant he might even be able to climb to prodigy and get a degree as a Potions Master, maybe even a potion creator, or a potion book writer, with a few modifications in the recipes, as he always dreamed. 

He dropped his meticulously-sliced alihotsy leaves into the cauldron, which was already bubbling with boiling water, then stirred. Then, as the brewing instructions said, he quietly sniggered at the potion. The potion took about sixty of the ninety minutes to brew, but Albus wanted to add one final touch to it. 

Albus (Whispering to himself): Okay, so I added all the ingredients, stirred. But there's one ingredient that can make this the best potion of everyone's. Gigglewater. After all, it would only make the effects stronger.

Albus goes to the stores again, then this time rummages until he finds what he's looking for. A small bottle with clear-colored liquid, and returns to his cauldron, only pouring in about two drops before saying the required incantation.

Albus: Risus!

Albus waves his wand, then sits patiently as Professor Fleet comes towards his cauldron with a small potion bottle, similar to the one which held the gigglewater, 

Professor Fleet: Mister Potter, I will now collect a bit of your potion and rate it based on how strongly it inflicts the promised effects. Your results will be delivered by the last week of school. 

Albus nods and thanks the professor, exiting the classroom to find both Scorpius and Lamia waiting for him.

Lamia: Did you make it?

Albus: I dunno. Results aren't out yet.

Scorpius: How do you think you did?

Albus: I think I'll get it. If I do, I'll have Fleet next year. I'm thinking of going for prodigy after sixth year. After all, lessons are a year ahead. By then, I'll be entirely done with Hogwarts Potions. After that, I'll probably experiment a bit. I'll see if I can make iterations to the recipes to make them more effective.

Scorpius: I would have done Advanced Potions if I didn't already have five other advanced classes. Well, I've got to get studying.

When Scorpius disappears around the corner towards the common room, Lamia immediately addresses him.

Lamia: Scorpius told me you're trying out for quidditch in sixth year. What position?

Albus: I'm thinking chaser. I'm done trying to be a miniature replica of my dad, especially since James is doing a much better job. After all, I think I take after Mum in that sense. My eye isn't that keen for the snitch. After a few years of training her eyes, so probably in our sixth year, right after James leaves, she's going to try out for seeker. She inherited that from Mum.