Chapter 40

Act Three, Scene Four 

Slytherin Dormitory

Albus enters his dormitory, which is empty except for Scorpius, who sat on his bed, staring bitterly at the stone wall in front of him. Albus goes and sits on his bed, trying to read his friend's eyes— something which was now possible due to his faded neutral, faintly icy exterior.

Albus: Did Rose say no when you asked her to The Three Broomsticks?

Scorpius (angrily): No, it was quite the opposite. She asked me to the pub, but I rejected her. 

Albus (shocked): Why? Hasn't it been your life's goal to go on a date with her since first year?

Scorpius: That's exactly why I don't want to go with her. Ever since our first year, all she had for me were mean remarks. Even when we were friends, all we did was bicker. I'm not saying bickering in a relationship is inherently wrong— but it's not something I want. But that's not why I said no. I said no because she only seemed to want to ask me to Hogsmeade when I'm the Scorpius who's hailed for being an inside spy on the traitors, crucial to their defeat. 

Albus: At least she asked you. I've always wanted to go to Hogsmeade with a popular girl. 

Scorpius (getting annoyed): That's why she asked me. It's simple. I'm the most popular boy in our year who she can logically date. She's the most popular girl in our year, if not all of Hogwarts. When I was unpopular, she acted like she couldn't stand me. Now she wants to have butterbeer with me. (sighing) Did you come in here to say something? 

Albus: I've decided to stop chasing trouble and trying to be my dad in miniature. After this year, Hagrid's death, the forest, fighting Delphi, Charon, and Maddox and stealing the Hatchet's Soul and the healing artifact, preventing the Cursed Nightfall... I've decided that this isn't the life I want to lead. 

Scorpius: You finally realized how stupid you were, chasing every bit of trouble you could find. 

Albus: I'm quitting quidditch, at least for one year. I'm going to study for the potions competitions to hopefully become Potions Prodigy. Instead of trying to find similarities and live up to him, I'll embrace our differences and become my own person. 

Scorpius: I was just planning on joining the team for fifth year. Now that I'm not treated like the plague, I thought I could try out for seeker. Are you planning to stop playing, or just disassociate from quidditch entirely?

Albus: Earlier, I was thinking of being commentator or being a substitute player or playing for the friendly team, but I decided that it's wisest not to play quidditch and embrace my talent for potion-making. Mind you, I do like it, and I'll definitely play in family matches, but I'm just disassociating from it for the rest of the year. Definitely not playing until sixth year, but I'm not against commentating next year. 

The door to their dormitory opens to reveal Karl Jenkins, who for once is without his best friend Craig. When he sees them, he brightens the tiniest bit.

Jenkins: Albus! Scorpius! What are you doing here? There's a party in the common room, dedicated fully to you. Oh, and Albus, after that, Grant wants you down for practice. We have our final match. Your reserve really came through. 

Albus and Scorpius trade an annoyed look. 

Albus: We're coming. Tell everyone to wait up just a minute. I have to get to write to Fleet. I'll be down in a minute. 

Jenkins leaves, seeming confused.

Albus: Well, you go down. I'll also be returning James' cloak after going to Fleet.

Scorpius: If you see Rose, make sure to tell her I'm still not interested. 

Albus: Noted.