"We'll come on then, you heard what Moody said, move it Clarke," Fred sniggered, his tongue touching the roof of his mouth.

Jessica had an electric pulse run through her body. It was a challenge, Fred was testing her. Neither of them believed she could do it. Well, up until this moment she hadn't believed she could do it either, but now she felt like she wanted nothing more than to prove them both wrong. She looked Fred dead in the eyes and regained grip on the bottom of her trunk. It took all her strength but she took that first step forward, fuelled by the competitive energy inside her. With each step it got easier, and before long she was stood in front of both of them, two towers blocking her exit. 

She had done it.

"If you'd excuse me," she said, smirking at Fred. The pain of lifting the heavy luggage took a backseat to her pride.

"As you wish," said Fred and he glanced over at George as they both twisted out of the way in unison like saloon bar doors. Jessica squeezed between them, feeling quite proud of herself.

"I'll meet you down there, I want to scare mum one last time," she could hear George say to Fred as she walked across the landing. A scratch sound and the scream that followed from below told her that he had succeeded in his mission. As she approached the stairs the trunk slipped out of her hands, and though she ran to pick it up, it floated all the way down to the ground floor of its own accord. Someone had enchanted it to speed her up.

"Oh for god sake I said I would do it!"

"Oi," Fred whispered from across the hallway, "Miss Independent, pipe down and get in here," He nodded back into her room and then walked in there, leaving Jessica with no choice but to follow him. Her butterflies in her stomach only became more active with each step she took, anticipating what would happen when she and Fred were alone again. She walked into the room and stood near the dresser.

"Right I know we don't have much time," he said as he closed the door behind her, "but I need to talk to you about last night."

Jessica took a step away from him. His voice was serious, not flirty in any way. Away was his confident demeanor that he had had just a few minutes ago with George at his side, he now couldn't look her in the eye. She was so confused, his body language had done an almost 180-degree turn.

"Anything specific?" she asked.

Fred leaned his head back on the door and closed his eyes. "Jess, listen, I don't want you to get the wrong idea..."

Jessica had heard those words too many times before. Suddenly the hopeful excitement evaporated from her and her heart fell from her chest. He had regretted kissing her last night, and now he didn't know how to backtrack. She had been in this situation before, where she tried clinging on, and it always ended in ruin. That was not going to be the case this time, she respected Fred's company too much. She thought herself lucky that he had told her so early on.

"...you've got to understand, George and I sneaked in a bit of FireWhisky, and we..."

"It's fine," she interrupted without thinking.

Fred looked up at her tentatively with his mouth still open mid-sentence, "what's fine?"

"We can just pretend it never happened," she said, the words falling out of her mouth like a script she had rehearsed with all the boys she had ever liked, "you were tipsy, I was tired and wanted comfort, it's probably for the best that we just forget about it. I was going to tell you the same thing at some point anyway."

This was a lie.

She had lied through her teeth, her voice cold and standoffish. She couldn't show any emotion in case she gave her truth away. His eyes widened and his thumb stroked the doorknob anxiously. She knew that she had just handed him an easy way out, and he didn't know how to react.