behind bars

Tags: cute, teasing, slowburn vibes

Jennie smiles and tilts her head.

"The usual?" She asks as she manoeuvres the Boston shaker in her hand.

Lisa smiles back, settling on the stool by the counter, adopting her manspreading position.

"The usual." She nods and says, sniffing the air, the fresh scent of lemon hitting her nostrils.

Jennie bends over to reach out to the bottom shelf to grab the Cointreau as Lisa curses herself in her head for (actually eyeing Jennie's ass) things already getting out of control.

"How's it been behind the bars?" Lisa asks with a teasing smile as Jennie's feline eyes follow the upturning of the other girl's lips and Lisa knows she would be stuttering if she were talking right now. Thank god she wasn't.

"Today's the last day." Jennie answers shortly, grabbing the lime juice from somewhere Lisa doesn't care to look because the matter at hand is bad.

"Last day?" Lisa asks, masking the desperation in her voice with exaggerated inquisitiveness.

"I'm quitting. Kind of done with this stuff. Wondering if I should just become a barista but I don't know a thing about coffee." Jennie says with a chuckle and Lisa's heart clenches.

The matter at hand is, in fact, very bad.

Now what?

"Okay...I mean...Not like coffee is more interesting than a cosmo, but okay." Lisa says jokingly but she's legit panicking inside.

She's invested too much on this - a whole year and a shitload of feelings for Jennie.

"You're right. I think I'll become a busser then. At least I can play around with flavours and make shakes." Jennie says, her eyes lighting up just the way Lisa had seen on her first day here.

Oh, fuck no.

Lisa watches Jennie's beautiful hands garnish her Cosmopolitan with zest on rim of the martini glass.

The last drink she'll ever have made by Jennie. Unless she finds Jennie at some coffee shop or ice-cream truck by chance. Okay so, she had read somewhere that Boston has approximately 61 coffee shops so she would have to go look at them on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and maybe Fridays too if she skipped her drinking night and a few parties and maybe even a Monday if she skips Econ class-

Who the fuck is she kidding? She's never seeing Jennie again. She almost wants to cry. The named girl slides the drink to Lisa and she looks up to see a tight-lipped smile.

It's like Jennie wants to say something, but she isn't able to when someone slams a five dollar bill on the counter.

Lisa looks sideways to see a man, probably in his 20s, smiling lewdly at Jennie. Damn, Jennie really should leave this job.