Chapter 4 [Ditching]

Authors Note: No authors note this chapter. 1147 Words

      Without a second thought, you jumped out the 4th story window. You held your [skirt/top] down as you flawlessly flew through the air, softly hitting the soft grass and looking up to see the redheaded reaper following in your footsteps. "Oh the adrenaline is just coursing through my veins Darling! This is so much fun!" She wrapped her arms around your neck, lying her head on your shoulder. As you calmed from your adrenaline rush, you looked around at the world around you. You hadn't ever been behind the Shinigami building, where you were currently, for you had never found a reason to. "It's rather soothing outside today" You breathlessly mumbled, seating yourself on the ground. "Now now Dear, if we stay here, we're bound to be spotted" Grell stated, bowing her hand down to you. "Oh, yes, you're correct" You took her hand, and she quickly swept you off your feet. "AH!- What are you doing!?" You demanded, as Grell jolted around the landscape. "We're going somewhere a bit more fun, Darling!" She chuckled as you raced through the air, the smell of citrus filling your nose as Grells hair flew in your face.

     After what seemed like hours, the two of you stopped in an open field, lying against a single tree and taking in the atmosphere as the sun began to set. It was a mesmerizing view. "I always come here when I need somewhere to think" Grell suddenly spoke, making you lose your train of thought. "And to ditch work" You added with a light chuckle. Growing up, you had constantly been compared to your brother. You two were identical, personality wise. Strict, hardworking, mature, responsible. But you had your times you wanted to have some fun. William was just happy to have someone who would actually agree and listen to him. "Darling? Hello?" The female was now aggressively waving her hand in your face. You looked at her confused, stammering a "Wha- hmm?"

     "Were you listening Dear? I was just telling you about the nail salon across from the office!" Grell cocked her head to the side. "It seems that I had zoned out, my apologies" You stated formally, giggling at her clueless expression. Without warning, she ran her fingers through your H/T(Hair Type) hair, not catching on a single snarl, probably because you didn't have any. Once she was done, you stood up, admiring the fields of untrimmed plain in front of you, the grass light itching your ankles.

      Suddenly, you fell down to the ground. Grell had jumped on top of you. Shocked, you flipped around, being met with a devilish smirk. She swiftly started tickling you, instantly making you burst out laughing. "S-Stop!" You managed to get out in between a giggle fight, to which you only got a head shake and an "Oh this is fun!"

     The tickle fight didn't last long before you decided to retaliate. You began to tickle her as well finding that her most ticklish spot is her knees. The play fight went on for another few moments before the both of you needed a break. Still laughing at the obtruding randomness of the matter, the fellow shinigami laid her head on yours. "I've had a great night with you, Y/N Darling" Grell stated. It was almost pitch black now, so you stood up, the saddening realization that you would have to get back to work soon coming over you. "Gre- Sutcliff!" You corrected yourself. "Yes Darling? Please, call me Grell!" She suggested happily. You simply nodded, speaking up. "We need to get back to work, you know"

     After only a moment of disagreement, Grell swept you off your feet, and you were starting the journey back. "Dear, can we make one small stop?" She asked you with puppy eyes, glancing down into yours. "I suppose that's fine-" "YES!" Grell interrupted, running across the roofs of various buildings before settling on one. She jumped down the side, making sure to keep a tight grip on you as she landed in a small alleyway. You were more than pleased to find out the alleyway wasn't, in fact, the place the two of you needed to stop at. She swiftly walked through the door of a building, before you could even look at the sign, though the heavy smell on rubbing alcohol hitting your nose was enough to know where you were. "Time to get your nails done!" Grell whispered in your ear excitedly, setting you down at a chair in the waiting area as she went up to the counter and paid.

     "One full set of acrylics, please!" She stated, handing the cashier the money and motioning you over. You walked over to her, standing by her side until she told you to sit down. "I'll stay next to you, since this is your first time." Grell sat down almost on top of you, as a shinigami with long orange hair and green spectacles started working on your nails. She looked like a fairy. You decided not to question how Grell knew this was your first time, brushing it off as simply the way your nails looked. You decided on a delightful shade of F/C(Favorite Color), and it looked stunning on you once it was done.

     The two of you walked out, equally as satisfied. "Now we need to hurry back" You stated, admiring your nails. "Well, we could grab a snack, just a little some-" "Grell, no." You asserted, looking around. "What's the closest route to take to get back to work?" You asked, starting to walk. "Well Darling, we can just fly across the roofs, that's what I do anyway.." You nodded in agreement, about to jump up before the girl beside you picked you up. "Surely you wouldn't want to burn up any more energy, I know how hard you work" Grell stated, starting to bounce from roof to roof. You simply shrugged, not minding being carried almost constantly.

     The two of you were just about back to the office, and you were glad to be safe. That is, until your phone started ringing. Anxiety consumed you instantly, as you checked who it was. Grell seemed totally calm. Ronald Knox. You let out an audible sigh of relief. answering the phone. "Hey Y/N, I know we've only talked a couple of times, but I just completed my To-Die list and William seems pretty angry, can I give it to you?" He questioned. "Yeah, that's fine, I'll come down and get it-" "It's fine, I can bring it up to you!" "No- No, I insist" You took in a deep, shaky breath. "Well, okay! Bye now!" You hung up without even a goodbye. Just as you started to calm down, a text message came in.