Chapter 1 [Working Early]

Authors Note: Welcome newcomer! I hope you enjoy as much as a lot of my kind commenters/followers. If you love Grell, and you also love when Grells correct pronouns are used: you're in luck! 1071 Words

"Do I really have to come in early, again?" Y/N questioned, tiredly annoyed. It was 5am, and you never get to bed before 1am, not to add you've had to come into work early for the past 4 days, and it'd be an understatement to say you're sick of it. "I beg you, [sis/bro/sibling], I simply cannot deal with her this early" Your brother, William, on the other side of the phone whined. You only assumed he was talking about the dreadful redheaded Shinigami who you've talked to maybe once, and that was to borrow a pen. Knowing there was no way out of this, You threw on your typical uniform, a black tuxedo top with a white undershirt and a black tie, with [a matching black skirt, and black knee-high socks/black dress-pants and plain socks] and began to comb your H/L, H/C hair.

"Are you still there?" William let out a soft, audible sigh. "Yes, I'm getting dressed, I'll be there within 10 minutes" You mumbled as you slid on your [black heels/black dress-shoes/black flats] and gave yourself a small smile at your current look as you glanced at your reflection in the mirror. "Alright, I must get going, goodbye-" You hung up the phone as your hurriedly grabbed your backpack, throwing in a couple of your favorite snacks before placing it over your shoulder and locking up your apartment. You soon started to make your way on the 5 minute walk to work.

You were grateful, that, despite the sun barely coming up, the temperature outside wasn't freezing. You had debated on grabbing a coat, or a flannel, or even a sweatshirt, but you were in a rush, and it wouldn't have matched your outfit. You walked through the door of the Shinigami Office, getting greeted by the thick smell of coffee. It was only 5:14am, work doesn't even start until 6am, and here you are, standing in the doorway because your brother was the boss and working overtime wasn't anything new to you. You took the elevator up to the top floor, walking to your office, which happened to be right next to Williams. You glanced at the large pile of papers, that you were certain weren't yours. "Someone didn't do their job.." You mumbled to yourself, sitting down and rubbing your forehead. Just looking at the amount of work gave you a migraine.

     As you opened your laptop, quickly typing your password and opening what seemed like a million files, the smell of coffee only seemed to get stronger, and with that, the growing temptation took over. You pushed away from your desk, getting up and walking out of your office, where you were met with your brother coming through the elevator with a cup of steaming coffee. "The coffee's fresh." He simply nodded at you before walking into his office, clearly just as tired as you were. You took the elevator downstairs and grabbed a nice, warm cup of coffee.

    "Y/N, turn off the coffee pot" the loud speakers suddenly boomed, making you nearly spill your coffee everywhere. He always did that when it was an empty office, it was always so annoying, and it scared you 9 times out of 10, yet it gave you a sense of security, knowing William wasn't growing too overly depressed. You quickly turned off the coffee pot before turning around to go back to your office, but something seemed to block your way. A loud, feminine reaper stood only inches away from you. Grell Sutcliff, of course. "AH- What are you doing?!" You exclaimed, grasping your coffee tightly. The second time today you almost made a mess. "Mmm? Well, I'm getting coffee My Dear, now if you don't mind, can you move, just a bit, Darling?" She asked ever so delicately, to which you simply moved aside. You leaned on the counter, sipping your coffee, and observing the female who was now pouring an obnoxious amount of creamer into her coffee. You cringed at the thought of it.

      "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're checking me out, is that right Y/N?" Grell suddenly questioned. You could feel your face begin to heat up as you shook your head. "No! I was just thinking, that's all.." You stated, quickly rushing away.

     'What was that, why did I react that way?' you thought silently to yourself as you made your way back to your office. You set your coffee down, going back to the boring job of writing to-die lists and reading humans' documents, glancing at the time periodically as if it would change from 5:31am to 6pm within seconds.

    Only a couple minutes after you began to work again, you heard your door swing open. You flinched slightly, looking up to find none other then the same female. "Hello, Y/N" She stated simply. You sat up straight, turning your focus onto her. "Do you need something, Sutcliff?" You replied. It wasn't typical for someone to come into your office, everyone normally went to William with questions or concerns. To put it blunt, you were overlooked, some didn't even know you worked there, yet your role was directly under the boss!

    "I have a small favor, Darling" The red head cooed, sitting on your desk. Your eyes widened as she messed up your neat set up, but you stayed quiet about it, at least for now. "I'm a bit busy right now, what could you possibly need?" You looked up at the girl who was now kicking her feet lightly. You only hoped she wouldn't kick your desk. "I just find it so hard to do this stuff, I need your assistance, pretty please!" You kept staring, dumbfounded. "You need my help?" You questioned. "That's what I said, Dear" She assured. After a moment of questioning your entire job, you stood up, blankly nodding. "Alright, that's fine, I guess" You explained, closing your laptop and grabbing your coffee. "Off we go, then" You motioned for her to follow you, which she happily did, wrapping her arm around yours. "This is going to be fun!"