Chapter 29

"If Miss Cully is to go unnoticed, she should stay here while you take the guard with you. Then she can join the others assembling downstairs."

"Good plan." Miranda gave me another thorough inspection before announcing I was ready. "Remember, head down, and don't engage anyone you know in conversation. Avoid the guards." She gave me a brief hug. "Most of all, enjoy yourself. I'll meet you back here afterward."

I bit my lip and nodded.

"Don't do that to your lip," she scolded.

I nodded again. Just as she was about to leave, I remembered I had advice for her too. "Please be careful tonight, Miranda."

"I'll be perfectly fine. The captain is assigning two guards to me at all times. I'm not sure it's necessary, but I am grateful."

"If the captain thinks it's necessary then it is. Don't eat or drink a thing."

"I won't." She raced out of the room, and I followed a few minutes later.

The guards had left with Miranda, and the corridor was empty. I descended the grand staircase behind a group of nobles. They complimented one another on their outfits and speculated on the type of festivities the king had in store for them. They were as giddy and giggly as children presented with a shop full of sweetmeats. Perhaps they were already drunk.

There were so many ladies and gentlemen milling at the twin ponds outside that it was easy to blend in, dressed in Miranda's ball gown. Nobody paid me any mind. Even so, I quickly scanned the faces of those nearest me. I recognized none. I drew in a deep breath, but the air was filled with a cloying mix of perfumes that caught in my throat. I coughed uncontrollably, earning me a glare from those nearest.

A footman passed with a tray of drinks and I plucked off a crystal glass. The cool wine washed away the irritant and steadied my nerves a little. They returned when I spotted Lady Violette Morgrave talking to a gentleman. I dipped my head but kept her in my line of sight. Fortunately, she did not look my way.

The ebb and flow of conversations suddenly stopped, and a wave of whispers flowed through the crowd. "The king."

All eyes turned to the palace, where the king stood at the top of the steps, flanked by Hammer and Max. Lady Lucia dropped into a graceful curtsy and only rose when the king bade her to. Beside her, her brother bowed, but the king only had eyes for Lady Lucia. Other ladies curtseyed too, but it was too late. Lady Lucia already occupied the king's left arm. His right remained free. He searched the faces, but not finding the one he wanted, he headed down the steps. Lady Lucia's smile widened.

The crowd parted for them. Gentlemen bowed and the ladies curtseyed in a sea of rustling silks. The king strode slowly among them, looking comfortable and benevolent. My tisane must have worked.

"Follow me!" the king announced. "Follow me into a magical world filled with wondrous sights. Prepare to be dazzled."

The crowd made suitably amazed sounds and fell into step behind him. We formed a long line that snaked slowly through the partitioned gardens. Torches lit the gravel path, and thanks to the overcast sky, the darkness beyond the torches was absolute. Behind, however, the palace was brightly illuminated. Every window was ablaze with light as if it were on fire. That sight in itself amazed me.

Our promenade continued through the vast formal gardens that I'd only ever seen from palace windows and Lookout Hill. Paths divided the garden into sections, with each section featuring a different color grouping of flowers laid out in patterns—stars, circles, diamonds. Many featured a fountain in the middle, others statues, all lit up by lanterns and torches. Footmen stood to one side with trays of more wine so that no one went without.