Chapter Six

Trigger warning: mention of death

•~•~•~•~•~•

Techno stopped his car. Ranboo had been giving the directions. They were at a graveyard. Ranboo glanced at Techno.

"Why are we at a graveyard?" Techno asked quietly, staring at said graveyard. Ranboo looked out the window, into the graveyard. He pulled at his sleeves again.

"My parents are here." Techno stared at him for a few moments. They were both quiet. Ranboo stared out the window, playing with his sleeves.

"You're an orphan?"

"I don't want to be called that. Nor do I want to be called a victim. Their graves aren't too far from here. I can walk. You don't have to come with me." Ranboo said quickly. He opened the door and hopped out. He closed the door and put his hood up. He started walking into the graveyard. Techno sat in his car quietly. How did he not know the kid was an orphan? I mean he knew he wasn't living with his parents but he didn't think he was literally living without them.

After a little bit, with Ranboo still in eye sight, the boy stopped at two graves. He caressed the top of one gently, as if it was gonna shatter beneath his fingertips.

A little old lady walked over to him not too long after. She touched his arm, making him jump. He looked down at her. They talked for a bit. Ranboo pointed at Techno's car. The woman looked over and nodded, looking back up at the boy. She touched his face before hugging him. He hugged her back softly. They hugged for a few seconds before Ranboo pulled away. She nodded slowly before pulling the hood off his head. She ruffled his hair and walked away from him. Ranboo looked down at his father's grave before walking back to Techno's car. He opened the door and hopped in.

"Who was that?" Techno asked as Ranboo closed the door. Ranboo shifted slightly.

"An old friend of my dad's. Just... Told me to stop acting like him... All moody." Ranboo muttered. Techno nodded, looking at his steering wheel.

"You aren't moody."

"Can we just go eat?"

"Okay well now you are being moody. I was just trying to be nice, asshole." Techno muttered to himself and rolled his eyes.

Ranboo pulled at his sleeve, walking towards his parents' grave once more. It was night time. The only light was the street lamps. A motorcycle with a helmet hanging off the handle was sat not too far away. Ranboo had a black and white backpack on. It was his school backpack but it seemed all of his books and papers had been taken out of it. He bent down and pulled his bag off his shoulder. He opened it and took out a spray can. He shook it before taking the cap off. He started writing on his dad's gravestone with black spray paint.

"Burn in Hell"

Ranboo put the cap back on and stood up. He tossed the can next to the gravestone. He glanced at his mom's gravestone. He walked in front of it and bent down. He took out a bottle of perfume from his backpack and sat it down in front of her gravestone. It was her favorite scent. Ranboo kept his hand on the bottle before a sob slipped from his mouth. He laid his head against the top of the gravestone and sobbed quietly.

A car pulled up not too far away from where the motorcycle was parked. Dream got out and closed the door. He walked over to Ranboo and sat next to him. Ranboo lifted his head and looked at him. Dream opened his arms. Ranboo scrambled into his arms and hugged him tightly. Dream rubbed his back softly while he cried into his shoulder. He hushed him quietly, rocking the boy back and forth.

"I miss her." Ranboo's voice cracked pitifully. Dream ran a hand through his little brother's hair.

"I know, Ranboo. I know." Ranboo continued to cry. Dream continued to comfort him, rocking him and running a hand through his half and half hair that he insisted on dying over the summer.

He felt terrible. He had no idea what Ranboo was going through. He was never close to his dad so he didn't exactly care if he was dead or not. Even if he wasn't close to him, he still hated the fact his father cheated on his mother with more than one woman. He hated Ranboo. Ranboo was the only child that came out of his father's affairs... But now he had to care for the boy. He couldn't let the kid go into the foster system. He saw what happened to other kids that went through all different kinds of homes. The poor kid was already broken. No one wanted him in his time of need. Dream tried to convince his mother to take him in but she refused. Dream took him in, reluctantly at first. Though, the kid started to grow on him shortly after doing so. Ranboo told him he wanted to live in a different house than Dream. He'd do anything for the kid, so after a little begging from Ranboo and some extra money, he got him his own house under the condition that Dream bought him a house close to his in case there was an emergency.

Dream bought all the kid's groceries and furniture. All of his needs and wants. He bought him a new phone that was way better than the flip phone he had when he got to Dream's house the first day he was under Dream's custody. He spoiled the kid to say the least.

His own bills were not being paid so he could pay for anything Ranboo needed. Of course, Ranboo didn't know that. He didn't want the kid to feel bad. Sam gave him a bit of a raise to at least help with the bills that had started piling up on Dream at the end of the school year. He convinced the school board it was for being the teacher of the year. Techno had also slipped Dream some money after Dream told him not to and that it was fine. Dream had reluctantly accepted it after Wilbur, Sapnap, George, and Phil convinced him to by telling him he was gonna end up homeless multiple times. Of course, only Sam knew about Dream and Ranboo's situation. Most of the teachers just knew Dream was taking care of Ranboo for his dad.

"Dream?" Ranboo asked quietly. Dream hummed. "Can I sleep at your house tonight? I don't wanna sleep at home by myself." Dream nodded.

"Of course, Ranboo. Anything for my little brother."