"What? Prove what?"

"That we are better than them. It's about self-respect now, Venus."

"Where did self-respect come from?" I groaned.

"We have a point to prove now. And we will prove it. Just you wait. You will prove it."

"Me?"

He nodded.

"No, dad, listen to me-"

"I have the perfect plan," he said confidently.

I huffed, slumping in my seat.

What the hell is he about to make me do?

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

Around fifteen minutes before I was meant to start getting ready, my dad called me into his study. And what he asked me to do made my blood run cold.

"Wait. You want me to what?" I scoffed, staring at my father in disbelief.

"I want you to take the dagger with you tonight."

"Why? For what?" I asked warily.

"For Caden," he answered.

"Caden Locke?" I questioned.

He nodded.

"What is he going to do?"

"Nothing. I just want you to do something, darling," he huffed.

"What?" I asked hesitantly. I know I'm meant to hate Caden. I'm meant to show how much I hate him, I'm meant to make him want to pull his hair out. But a dagger? Doing something to him with a dagger is too much.

"Just show him what us Princetons can do," he shrugged.

"Dad," I said slowly. "What are you planning?"

"Just a little stab. Or a little slash. They won't bother you ever again."

"They don't bother me."

He's getting angry. I can clearly see it. "You will take that dagger and you will do as I say tonight. I'll be keeping an eye on you. And if you don't do it, I will."

"Dad but-"

"Would you like to stab him or shall I do the honors?" He arched a brow at me sharply.

"No, I'll do it. I... I'll do it myself. Give me the dagger."

He opened the drawer of his desk and slid the dagger across the table, over to me.

I picked it up, taking it out of its cover and looking at it. This could kill Caden. It will if my angle is just a little off.

"But dad I haven't been taught to... what if I do it wrong? What if I puncture an artery and he dies?" I truly am panicking right now.

"Then it's what they deserve," he shrugged.

"Dad!" I scolded.

He sighed, rolling his eyes. "All right, Jesus. I'm joking. Don't do anything to him."

I breathed out in relief.

"I just want you to scare him with it. When I was seventeen, his father came up to me with a dagger once. I want you to show them that we aren't cowards. That we can fight back and get our hands just as bloody as them."

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "If we're just as bad as them then what is the bloody difference?" I muttered. "When I have kids, I'm never teaching them to hate the Lockes, just so you know. I'll scare him with it, okay?" It's better than actually hurting him with it.