The Last Night - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Fine, but you're leaving the same way you came in, I'm not having someone see you leave my room and think that we-"

"We what?" He smirked, his expression suggestive.

Jessica dodged his question in order to avoid putting her foot in it. "Why did you come here again?"

"I wanted to give you this," he whispered and he pulled out a pile of books wrapped neatly in a string from behind his back. He looked like he had just shown her an impressive magic trick, but she couldn't resist her face frowning.

"You woke me up to bring me...books?" she mumbled, her eyebrows raising at the sheer size of the bottom leather-bound book. It must have been at least a thousand pages.

Fred's smile dimmed slightly, and she felt bad that she hadn't reacted how he had wanted her to.

He placed the books on the bedside table and sat down on the edge of the bed. "Yeah they're yours for your O.W.L's, Ron got George's old ones so Dad said for me to give you mine as you didn't have yours yet."

Jessica thought back to her time at Diagon Alley, where she had only purchased a wand and her robes. Then to her lessons, where she had only worked with textbooks through years 1-4. She hadn't even thought about needing books for the fifth year, but then again Mr Weasley did seem to think of everything.

"Oh, well that's kind of you," she said sweetly, trying to make up for her initial reaction, "thanks for the personalized delivery service."

Fred grinned, the candlelight illuminating half of his face with a warm glow. She had never appreciated how nice his smile was before.

"No problem. In all honesty, I would've forgotten if George hadn't just reminded me," he admitted looking slightly embarrassed, "but I did want to see how you were before the big day tomorrow."

Nervous thoughts once again flooded her mind. It was midnight, the night half over, and she was that one bit closer to moving out of comfort and meeting her new home. She would have to start all over again.

"Oh, yeah," she said shyly, averting her eyes from him.

"What's wrong?" he asked noticing her worried face.

Jessica shook her head, picking at the loose thread of her duvet. She didn't want him to laugh at her, or have to bother to comfort her. He was her friend yes, but not a close one, and if what Hermione had told her was true, she was best not to be too honest as he wouldn't care anyway.

"Are you going to tell me or am I going to have to make you?" Fred encouraged her, placing his right hand over her legs to the place where she was picking the thread. His hand pressed gently on top of hers, and with that touch, something triggered in her brain. She knew that she would be safe.

"Nothing, I'm...I'm just a bit nervous about tomorrow you know, being the new girl and all," she huffed, rolling her head back around to look at him.

"Oh get off it," he said, gently nudging her leg with his free hand, "You're great, you have nothing to worry about. Besides, you're not on your own, are you? You'll have Ron, Harry, and Hermione to hang out with."

They're two years above us, they have their own set of friends to hang around with...

Hermione's words came to her as he said this. She found herself being more upset by those words now than she had been. Why had he not said him and George also?

"Yeah, it'll be great to have them around," she said, searching in his eyes. She wanted him to say that he would be there for her as well, that he and George would still let her in on pranks before they happened. She wanted him to reassure her that he'd still be around.