Chapter 44: Scents of another

Start from the beginning

"What did you have to do again?" She asked quietly and casually. She heard him release a sigh and say, "There was an emergency that needed my approval and it ended up being a long meeting"

She nodded in understanding and stood up from her vanity. She twisted her body in order to face him. Looking him from up and down, his demeanour was airing out tiredness.

She suddenly felt sympathetic. He must've been working so hard.

Junhoe was slowly taking of his dress shirt, button after button, suddenly her eyes slowly rose to the slightly swollen area on his shoulder and neck.

She neared him, but he backed away slightly. That action had made her uncomfortable for some odd reason.

"What happened to that, Hon?"

"The meeting was long and my body was aching so it started to get swollen. The meeting room was also filled with flies for some reason"

Roseanne nodded in understanding before continuing to remain silent about it. Not asking anymore questions, especially about his sudden and quick movement going away from her.

The night was long. Well, at least for her.

Junhoe had taken a shower and had gone straight to his side of the bed. A little farther from her figure than usual, yet she took no speculation from it.

She wondered that he probably had wanted more space to become comfortable. It was understandable.

She looked over to the clock. It was already 4 am, and her eyes remained open, no signs of the drowsiness coming to take over.

Roseanne hated staying up. Not because she loved sleeping nor was the obsessive healthy sleeper. It was simply because she didn't like to think.

Her thoughts that swarmed in her head during the cold hours of the night have become more ruthless, severe and taunting night after night.

To the outside, her life was picture perfect. A handsome, reliable and caring husband. A beautiful, outgoing and sweet daughter.

Yet only she and her psychiatrist knew the terrors that lurked in the pitiless abyss of her mind.

She felt a sharp pain from her neck as the hair from her back rose. She felt the vibration caused by a text message towards a phone.

Rosie looked to her nightstand only to be greeted by a blacked out screen phone. It must've been his. Someone must've texted her husband.

She took long and deep breaths, slowly trying to meditate in order to fall asleep.

Who would be texting at 4 am...

No. Chaeyoung, you're better than this.

She hadn't realised it, but she had slowly been consumed by those thoughts these past few days.

Ding.

2 minutes later.

Ding.

......

3 messages in total.....she thought.

Roseanne pushed her abdomen downward. Trying to contain herself from standing up to check.

It was wrong.

Each passing second felt like a ticking time bomb for her. She questioned the possibility that if not today, then when?

When will she be able to confirm her thoughts?

She gently and cautiously raised her body. Tiptoeing slightly in order to walk towards his bed side table and check.