20.

HER DREAM.

"i'm sorry, you're what?"

norah awkwardly shifts her weight, disregarding the stares of her parents drilling through her this early saturday morning. "i said, i'm transferring to ucla in the fall," she repeats, just as fearfully as the first time.

her mother's eyes widen a little more while her father stays deathly silent. the silence only feeds her anxiety until her mother spoke, "norah, i know los angeles looks really nice on tv, but columbia is your dream--"

"no, it's not," she admits. "when i sent in my application it was out of anger and wanting to leave dover, but then things changed."

her father joins in, "and what does ucla have to do with this?"

if she was scared before, she was now shitting herself.

"well," she begins, picking her cuticles anxiously, "ucla is where-it's where marco's going."

silence.

it was so silent you could hear crickets along with norahs heart that was beating so fast she may as well be having a heart attack.

"i know how stupid it sounds, but if i stay here, i'll be miserable," she tries to explain, but it seems like they didn't want to hear any of it.

her father shakes his head, "no, norah. i'm sorry, but no. i love you, and i'm doing what's best for you. i won't allow it."

her mom agrees, "your father is right, norah. i love marco and i know how strongly you feel for him, but you're so young. you're going to meet a thousand marcos in your life."

the mixed girl swallowed before gazing up at them. "i love you both, and i hear what you're saying, but this is my mistake to make." she knew her next words would sting. "as of today, i'm eighteen. i'm an adult, and that means you can't really stop me." she braced herself for what was about to happen.

"an adult? elanorah, you're behaving like a child!" her father raises his voice at her.

his wife places a hand on his arm, "calm down," she looks back at her daughter. "i love you baby, but you're gambling too much away and the odds are slim. we just don't want you to get hurt."

she draws a sad smile, "i love you too, but i have to go. i'm sorry for disappointing you, but if i don't go, i'll be disappointing myself."

with her claim made and her argument nearly ignored, she left her parents' place in the midst of her birthday breakfast. it didn't take long for her to get back to campus and call nessa.

"birthday girl!" she squeals through the phone. "so how'd breakfast go with your parents?" nessa was full aware of her friends plans.

norah replies, "well, there was a bit of yelling here and there, but i got out with my head attached to my body, so i guess that's good."

she laughs, "so, when are you leaving?"

"i'll just have an early lunch then start driving. i probably won't get there in time to come before the party. so i'll just text you when i get to brunos." the ginger was having a party to celebrate his birthday that coincidentally fell right before norahs. "alright, i need to pack my bags and get everything ready." since she'd be staying at nessas house for the weekend.

"sure, see you soon." nessa hangs up, leaving norah to reply to a few birthday messages before she began to pack.

** **

after nearly a day of driving, the birthday girl approached the familiar leblanc home at around 7:30 pm. she wasn't exactly in partying attire, but she wasn't here for the party.