5.

DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?

norah clutches her books to her chest as she exits the library. the school halls were empty seeing as it was nearly the end of fifth period and everyone else was in class, norah being the exception because it was her free period.

turning the corner, she's taken by surprise when she bumps into a body. "sorry," she grumbled before trailing her eyes up to find esther price. "oh, hi." the brunette smiles but doesn't utter a word, causing the mixed girl to open her mouth slightly in confusion. she brushes it off, "well, i need to get going. i'll see you later." she steps to her right but, yet again, her path is blocked by a brunette.

"not so fast, norah." she wickedly sneered.

she shorter of the two, cocks her head to the side. "sorry?"

"he might not see it. but i do." her lack of wording only confuses norah more.

"i don't get it." she responds with a light hearted laugh.

esther rolls her eyes, sighing lightly. "you like marco."

norahs eyes never widened faster, "excuse me?" she responds, absolutely dumbfounded at the accusation despite the truth her words held.

"i wasn't born yesterday, sweetheart." a menacing laugh escapes her. "i like him too."

norah cuts esther off, "esther, listen, he's my best friend. i don't like him the way you're implying. i mean, of course i love him, but not in that way." sounds fake but okay.

"cut the shit. wanna know the difference between you and i?"

being the naturally free spirited, happy girl she is, thakur tries to brighten the mood. "four inches?" she gestures with her hands to point out the height difference.

"no. the difference between us is that you've known marco for six years and i've known him for less than two weeks, yet he's dating me." all of a sudden, norah finally understood exactly what esther was trying to do. bitch. "he likes me, not you. it's quite sad, don't you think? i mean, you're ogling after him while i just walked into town, and there's an instant connection. i almost feel bad for you, seeing that you're in love with him--"

"woah woah woah, slow down. i'm not in love with marco," she snaps, "i don't know what you think you've picked up on, but i suggest you get your facts straight before you talk."

green eyes shrugs, "you're his best friend, i can't change that, but i think it would be a smart idea if you put some distance between the two of you."

"are you crazy? that's not happening!" her blood was beyond boiling now.

esther took a step forward, forcing norah to crank her head up a little higher to meet her icy glare. "oh, okay. then i guess you wouldn't mind me telling marco about your little feelings then, right?"

this can't be happening. not to norah. "is that a threat?" she received a heinous smirk that answered her question. "what is wrong with you?" the words falling out before she could object. "what do you think is gonna happen? what? i'm gonna somehow take him away from you? like you said, he doesn't like me. you don't think i know that? you don't think that i've accepted that already?"