Chapter 14: Well kept secrets

Start from the beginning

"Thanks for saving my life," Oikawa muttered out of nowhere.

Kuroo looked at him and smiled. Even though he could only see the reddish glow in the dark, it was enough to make his heart feel at peace.

"Don't mention it," he replied, looking back to the front. "You would have done the same for me."

Oikawa stopped, grabbing his arm and yanking the young man around on his heel so that they were both face to face.

"Yes, exactly, Kuro-chan. I would have done the same for you."

Oikawa pulled Kuroo towards him until their chests touched, until their faces were so close to each other that they could feel each other's breath. Their red eyes were lost in those of the other, their gazes collided with intensity, like two stars devoured by the flames. In a sinister location in the middle of a dark and unknown forest, the situation offered the mysticism of a fairy tale, the intimacy of a silent and secret night that only belonged to the two of them. Kuroo seemed to want to say something, staring at Oikawa's red irises, but the spell of the moment kept him silent, delighting in just Oikawa's presence, without having to put it all into words. In fact, it wasn't necessary.

Kuroo caressed Oikawa's cheek with his thumb and Oikawa dropped his head to get closer to that slight contact, resting his face on Kuroo's palm, letting the warmth of his fingers spread over his skin. Kuroo took a deep breath and narrowed the few inches between their faces until their lips touched. The smell of Oikawa's skin was driving him crazy, because he knew exactly what his pheromones transmitted. Oikawa, anxious, could not wait: he leaned in until his lips collided with Kuroo's. He wrapped his arms around the other's neck, wrapping his arms around him and breathing through his nose as Kuroo wrapped his arms around Oikawa's waist and held him firmly, his lips moving so slowly that it was both ecstatic and exasperating. They could feel the other's heart beating against their own chest, so close that it almost felt like they had been merged into a unique and only being. They did not know where one of them ended and where the other began.

Suddenly there was a rustle in the leaves of the trees around them, and the two of them separated quickly, moved by a spring, as if they had suffered an electric shock. They turned around, looking around. They listened and then they heard the creaking sound again: bats flapping out of the trees or hanging from branches, moving the dry leaves that were there and making again the same sound they had just heard.

"It was just a bloody bat," Kuroo grumbled.

"I don't know whether to be happy because they interrupted us or not," Oikawa said with a sigh, continuing to watch around him.

"We can't do this here," Kuroo admitted running a hand over his face and patting Oikawa on the shoulder. "Hopefully we can settle down soon, I miss not having to do guards, I miss sleeping in a bed..."

Kuroo started walking again, and Oikawa followed him, feeling that something important had been left behind when the moment had been broken.

"Yes, it would be nice to rest somewhere other than the ground. Although by mentioning the bed I was thinking about something other than sleeping," Oikawa commented, throwing Kuroo a look of circumstances in the dark.

Kuroo chuckled.

"Yeah, I also miss having a private place where we can do whatever we want. The escapes to the forest are not safe enough, if they catch us we're screwed."

"I still think that the hierarchy of the packs in the 21st century is stupid. Who cares what we alphas do?" Oikawa growled.

"The entire species, Oikawa-kun," Kuroo said. "If alphas don't give heirs, the species will be extinct. It sounds cold, devoid of feelings, but it's the truth. The continuation of the species depends on the alphas doing their job by impregnating omegas."