Chapter 22: Someone's Watching

Start from the beginning

"That makes sense considering that's as far as our territory goes. But now that we have an idea of where the shadows are coming from, it's possible the perpetrator just might be lingering outside the territory, perhaps even crossing into another."

"A search party off Calamitous grounds, huh?"

"Yes," Amaury answered.

"This feels like a manhunt. Do you think the search would be successful?"

"There's no guarantee. But it's worth a try. . . Truth be told Genesis; it's not often an alpha needs to venture off the territory with their troops to expose themselves to the threat."

"Is that so? It seems like Vincent has been throwing himself into danger with no problem." I folded my hands over my chest, staring at the ceiling. "You know, I'm kind of curious. How does being an alpha . . . work with all of this?"

"Quite so," Amaury said, "it works the same as a king in charge of his people. Or a queen."

"I'm listening," I hummed.

"Given the circumstances, it's no surprise Vincent has been giving his all with the little bit of information he has. Under normal circumstances, it is protocol for an alpha to be alerted when a threat is near and crossing into the territory.

"Action is then taken as quickly as possible to remove the threat. To keep everyone safe. Vincent understands this well. Possibly better than anyone else here. After all, his biological father had done the same for his people.

"But that doesn't seem to be the right course of action this time around. Not when the threat is one step ahead of us. So, if we must find the threat and force it out of hiding to protect everyone, then so be it. We can't wait around any longer." I could hear Amaury inhale a deep breath.

I shot up, gripping onto the edge of the bed to keep myself balanced.

I'd managed to grasp the information; however, the mention of Vincent's biological father caught my attention the most. Vincent hadn't spoken about his father once. His mother, sure, I knew where he stood with her. I didn't know what caused his ill-will towards his mother. But his father was a new perspective into his past. And I desperately wanted to know more.

"Where is Vincent from?" The question rolled off my tongue before I could stop it.

He was quiet for a moment. I thought he wasn't going to answer my question.

But then he said, "A pack called Valor."

"Valor," I repeated to myself, "could you tell me more about—?"

"Genesis, are you ready!?" Dimitri's voice echoed from downstairs.

Damn, was it time to leave already? He had dropped by sooner than expected. As promised before the public announcement on stage two days ago, I'd been allowed to leave with Dimitri at my side, protecting me, as Vincent and the others finished things up. Today was meant to be no different, except it was just him and I going into town on our own.

"Looks like you're needed. We'll talk more later." Amaury quickly diverted the topic.

"Dammit." I sucked my teeth and snarled. I was so close.

"Oh, and Genesis, about the puppeteer . . . it's safe to assume someone is watching. Assume someone is always watching." Amaury's voice faded out, on that mysterious note. I didn't have time to think about it because Dimitri was yelling my name again.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back to him.

* * *

"Do you ever get the feeling there are eyes watching you?" I whispered.