I hear a knock at the door and grab my puffy-coat from my bed. It is still winter, after all.

"Can I come in?" I hear Knox's voice. I won't lie and say I'm not excited to see him in human clothes.

"Yeah."

Knox walks in, and I almost trip over my own feet. He looks... Like one of those boys you would see on social media and say 'oh my god why can't a boy like that move to my town and fall in love with me.'

Well...

"Oh my god," I say, smiling. "You look amazing. Like a human."

"Thank you," he replies, looking down at his outfit. "I feel really weird." He looks up at me. "You look perfect, though." I press my lips together in a smile. Suddenly Knox's hands go up to the sides of his head. "Oh, what about our ears?"

"I know it might look weird, but you all have hats. Let me fix your hair."

I grab his hand and pull him into the bathroom, situating him in front of the mirror. I take a second to take in his outfit with the long hair, then I pull it up, brushing it back and twisting it under a beanie, letting some of the hair hang in out onto his forehead in true girl-dresses-up-as-a-boy style. When I examine my work, it looks pretty real. And Knox looks very different. Still hot, yes, but different.

"What the..." Knox starts, turning his head from side to side to look at his makeshift short hair.

"Wow," I reply. Knox laughs out loud, touching the beanie carefully, as if one touch could ruin it.

"I do not like short hair me. Don't some boys on Earth have long hair too?"

"Yeah, but not usually teens. Two of our group are keeping their hair down, the rest are going up like yours. We'll blend in better that way."

"Can you just redo this once we get to Earth..?"

"Not a fan?" I laugh. He shakes his head, chuckling.

"Not a fan. And hey, this outfit is cooler than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for not giving me what I usually see... Jeans and ugly shirts."

"Oh no, I chose the best. You might stand out a bit, just because you're dressed how most girls dream a guy would dress..." Plus the fact that you're painfully attractive. I leave that bit out.

That doesn't matter though. NO way in hell I would give him acid-wash jeans and a John Deer tractor shirt.

We walk back out to my main room area and Knox pulls the beanie off, tossing it on my bed and putting his hair back to normal, pulling the front up in a quick pattern of braids with a flourish of practiced hands.

Even though this morning has gone by super fast, too fast to register anything, I'm now starting to feel the nerves bubbling up. I swallow the feeling, or at least try to.

"Are you ready?" Knox asks, stepping closer to me and running his hands up and down my arms comfortingly. I shrug, tilting my head up the slightest bit to look him in the eyes. All I see is readyness. Which, being an elf trained since forever for fighting, makes sense.

"Yeah, I think so. I hope so."

"Everything is going to be fine. Just keeeeep saying it," Knox says, smiling. I laugh, shaking my head. I take another look at his outfit.

"This is a good look on you," I say, arching an eyebrow. He mimics my expression.

"Oh really? Too bad you'll only see it once."

I pull a mock sad face, then end up smiling again. Knox lets out a long breath, wrapping one arm around my waist and placing the other behind my neck. I feel that feeling of comfort settle into my stomach as I wrap my arms around his neck, and he pulls me to him and kisses me. My stomach flips as I feel the cold metal of the rings I gave Knox on the back of my neck. I lean into him more, cherishing this moment, storing this feeling. I'm forever grateful that he's coming with me. I need him. It's taken me a long time to realize it, but I do. I kiss him harder, possibly letting my emotions get the better of me in the moment, but he doesn't pull away until we both do, out of breath. He gives me what's supposed to be a reassuring smile, and I give him one in return, though I know by the fade in his smile that he sees my worry.

He quickly pulls me into a tight hug, his arms strong and sure around me. As much as I love kissing him, duh, the hugs make me feel so safe and happy. Like his touch actually gives me a boost of serotonin. I tuck my face even more into his chest, breathing in his comforting scent.

"Mia?" I hear Rose call from outside my door. I pull away from Knox, pressing my lips together in a tight smile and giving him an encouraging nod. I'm strong enough to do this. I've trained, I'm ready. It'll just be a quick in and out, like we said at the meeting. I'm fine. I'll be fine.

Grabbing my jacket and handing Knox his hat, I stride to the door and pull it open, smiling at Rose. her gaze flicks to Knox then back to me, but she simply steps back and gestures for us to follow her. I almost miss the little knowing smile on her face. My mouth parts a little. How could she possibly figure out..? Maybe because Knox was in your room. But that could just be a friendly thing??

Whatever.

I take a last glance around my room, double check for any missing items, then follow behind Rose.

I wonder if I'll see my mom. Or my friends.

My hand twitches in surprise as I feel something touch it. Knox's fingers brush my palm. I grab his hand and hold tight.

—————————————————————————

I did actually go onto my Pinterest board to find outfit ideas for Knox...

-A