In the Eyes of Drake: Keeper

I gave the Ellie girl a room and food. Isn't the most generous thing to do, but at least I gave her something.

I let her write one letter a month to anyone she chooses. If she's going to be gone for a year then she'll need something that will make her seem okay. 

She has a good family. One that cares about her.

I wish I had the same thing.

_________________

Today's my birthday. And let me tell you, it's not as special as it is with a family member to celebrate with. 

The Killers and I play a game on everyone's birthday. It's called Trasher Or Keeper.

Each person gives me a gift and if I like it, it's a keeper. If I don't, it goes in the trash.

I go into Ellie's room to give her breakfast.

She hides something under the mattress.

I growl, "What are you hiding?"

"N-nothing." She croaks

I grab what's under the mattress.

I was surprised.

It's a drawing. Of me. 

Ellie didn't miss a detail.

She made me look nicer than I really am.

"What is this?" I ask. My voice is calmer this time.

"I-it's a birthday gift. Since you don't have any family, I thought I could give it to  you as a gift from me." Ellie explained.

I stared at the drawing, "This is-"

"Hey," Ellie stops me, "I know it isn't the best gift. It's stupid. But it was what I could think of."

I made my way to the door.

"Hey," I say.

Ellie looks up at me with teary eyes.

"Thank you."

_________________

"No way, man! That is totally going in the trash!" Carter yelled at the table.

We were celebrating my birthday at a restaurant.

"Come on! It's a cool sweater. C'mon Drake, please tell me it's a keeper!" Jeremy pleaded.

I stared at Jeremy's gift. It was a blue sweater that said 'Happy Birthday'.

But my birthday didn't seem so happy. I never had one. Especially when my sister died.

"Drake!" Carter yelled.

I looked up at him, "W-what?"

"Is it a trasher or a keeper?" He asked.

"Um... a keeper." I put the gift away.

Robbie groaned, "That's the fifth gift in a row! There's got to be something you don't like." 

Carter patted my back, "You okay? You haven't been yourself lately."

I nodded, "Just a bit tired," I got up from the table, "I'm going to go home."

"Cool, but one more thing," Carter stopped me, "How's Client 21 going?"

Her name is Ellie and she saved my life. I wanted to tell him.

But all I said was, "Fine."

Then I left the party.

________________

I came home and it was freezing. I must have messed up with the thermostat.

"Ellie?" I called.

I walked into her room, "Ell-"

I stopped there.

Ellie was sleeping.

Shivering.

She looked freezing cold and tears were running down her face.

 I never saw anyone crying in their sleep.

But the look on Ellie's face reminded me of my little sister when she was dying as my brother and father beat her up.

I remember her telling me, "Drakey, help. I'm dying."

I couldn't help her. But part of me wanted to.

I got a blanket from my room and put it on Ellie. I tucked her in. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper in her ear.

I walk out and go into my room.

Ellie's picture is placed on my nightstand.

I get an old frame and put the picture in it.

I hang it on the wall where I could see it every morning when I wake up.

This is a keeper.