Chapter Ninety-Two - Child's Play

Start from the beginning

To say Eden got a little side-tracked would be a bit of an understatement.
There she stood, in the changing room to a random clothing store she'd found, dressed as Castiel - a look completed by a bored scowl on her face.
She took out her phone and took a photo of herself in the mirror, sending it to Sam with the caption 'Eden comme Pigeon.'
Impala 2: Aren't you supposed to be getting clothes for mom? This is hilarious, by the way. Dean already had to pee.
Eden: I got distracted...
Impala 2: I can see that!
Eden chuckled down at her phone before getting changed back into today's choice of black maxi dress.
But, then she thought, 'hey, why not have some fun with this?'
So, the next store she went to, it was Dean's turn.
Changing into a black t-shirt, blue jeans, brown boots, flannel and oversized brown leather jacket, another photo was sent.
Impala 2: You're insane, you know that right?
Eden: You love me, though.
She decided to add an over-the-top pair of massive pink sunglasses, a silver sparkly fedora and a hot pink scarf, captioning the picture 'Dean when he thinks no-one's looking.'
Next, of course, was Sam, himself.
Removing the 'extra bits' and changing the black t-shirt for a grey one, a fresh flannel and a khaki jacket, a fourth and final picture was taken and sent over.
Impala 2: Oh my God, stop!!!!
Eden: I'm you!
Impala 2: It wasn't enough for you to have me? You had to become me too?
Eden: Can you tell I shouldn't be trusted to clothes shop alone?
Impala 2: Lesson learned! Have you actually managed to find anything for mom or have you been too busy getting distracted?
Eden: Fear not, my strikingly handsome love, for I have found your life-giver a grand total of half a closet. My quest for the remaining half shall commence forthwith.
Impala 2: Are you high?
Eden: I wish...
Impala 2: Hahaha. Have fun.
Eden: How's the case going?
Impala 2: Couple of vengeful child spirits. Nothing we can't handle.
Eden: Eesh. Sounds rough... I'll leave you to it. Love you x
Impala 2: Love you too x

Going back to her car with her arms full of shopping bags, Eden couldn't help but notice the same face she'd seen twice before on that same day.
A white male in his early forties dressed in an all-black suit had been watching her all day and it was starting to bore her.
She rolled her eyes, shoving the bags into the trunk of her car before locking it up again and going for a walk down the street, turning into the first alley she came across.
"Either you have no idea who I am or you actually wanted to be caught following me. So, which is it?" She asked, stopping in the middle of the alley without turning around to face her stalker.
"Oh, I know who you are. Lucifer sends his regards." The man replied.
Eden frowned, turning to face him. He was stood about ten feet from her, his stance attempting to be menacing as he flashed his black eyes.
"Lucifer sent you to follow me? Seriously?" She scoffed.
"He wanted us to keep tabs on you."
"Why?"
"We don't ask questions if we want to keep breathing." The Demon said.
"Well, why disappoint him, eh?" Eden shrugged, using her enhanced speed to rush him. She grabbed him by the neck, holding him with his feet dangling, his toes barely able to touch the floor. "If I see any more of you slimy little disasters, there won't be any of you left to rule over by the time I'm finished with you all. Report that back to your boss."
With that, she put her free hand on his cheek, using her magic to heat it up until it left a red, blistered handprint.
Eden dropped him to the floor and he scuttled off quickly, clutching his face.

When she got back to the Bunker, she placed the bags of clothes she'd ended up buying for everyone on their respective beds, then went straight to the library to find anything and everything she could on the international Men of Letters chapters. Eden knew Sam had already gone through all of it, but she thought that maybe there was something in the mix that he wouldn't think to make a connection on.
She'd pushed the tables and chairs in the library to one side and was sat in a circle of dozens of case files on the floor by the time the Winchesters returned.
"Baby! We're home!" Sam called as he came down the stairs.
"In here!" She replied.
"How was your- woah... What are you doing?" Sam's eyes widened at the sight in front of him.
"I wanted to see if there was anything I recognised that you might've missed. So far nothing major, but I've only looked over all of them once." She replied, standing up.
She hopped out of the file circle and gave him a hug and a kiss.
"How was the trip?" She asked, looking over as a very warned down Mary and Dean walked towards them.
"Yeah, it was... Eventful." Sam sighed.
"Well, do you wanna take a shower or a nap? You really went through it today." Dean addressed his mother.
"Na, I'm okay." She replied.
"What happened there?" Eden frowned, spying the gauze wrapped around Mary's left arm.
"Oh, uh, ghost gave me frost bite." Mary shrugged. "It's nothing major."
"Want me to heal that up for you?" Eden cocked a brow.
"Uh, sure. Thanks." Mary nodded, holding out her arm.
Eden gently unwrapped the gauze, seeing a bright red, child-sized handprint underneath.
"Ouch." She hissed.
Eden hovered her hand over the print, causing black smoke to encircle the woman's arm until it eventually vanished, along with the handprint.
"There. Good as new." Eden smiled proudly.
"Thanks." Mary repeated, giving her a small smile as she pulled the sleeve of her thin black sweater down.
"She kicked ass today." Dean told the girl.
"I kicked ass?" His mother scoffed. "You saved me. I-"
"Yeah, but you were right. You know, those kids were innocent. I mean, Hell, we didn't even know what Moriarty's deal was." Dean retorted.
"I do." Mary replied. "When he possessed me, I saw... I felt it - all of it. When Hugo lost his child, he went mad. Buried himself alive in his basement and walled himself in and starved to death."
"Damn..." Dean's brows raised.
"So, this wasn't just a couple of child ghosts, then?" Eden frowned.
Mary shook her head.
"When new families moved in - families with children, he coveted those children. So he took them, killed them. And somehow, that bound their spirits to his. That's where he got his power. He was so... Greedy, twisted."
"Mom, it's okay." Dean told her, moving over to her. "You're home now."
"No." Mary said, simply. "I'm not... I miss John... I miss my boys."
"We're right here, mom." Sam spoke up, giving her a small smile.
"I know." Their mother nodded. "In my head. But, I'm still mourning them, as I knew them. My baby; Sam. My little boy; Dean. Just feels like yesterday. We were together in Heaven and now... I'm here and John is gone and they're gone and every moment I spend with you reminds me of every moment I lost with them. And I thought hunting, working would clear my head..."
"Mom, what are you trying to say?" Sam frowned.
"I have to go... I'm sorry." She uttered. "I'm so, so sorry. I just need a little time."
She went to hug Dean, but he moved away, not even able to look at her.
Mary nodded in understanding, walking over to the table Eden had pushed back to grab John's journal. Then, she moved over to Sam.
"I love you." She said, leaning up to give him a hug. "I love you both."
Eden disappeared, reappearing with the bags of clothes she'd bought for her.
"Here. Take these with you." She said. "They're yours anyway."
"Thank you." Mary gave her a small smile. "Take care of my boys for me?"
"Always." Eden nodded.
Mary took one more look at Sam and Dean before she walked away towards the exit.
"I'll, uh, go make you boys some dinner." The Dark Angel said, moving towards the kitchen.
"I'm not hungry." Dean mumbled, wandering off towards his room.
Eden looked to Sam.
"Lost your appetite too?" She asked.
"Uh, no. No, I'll eat." Sam nodded, going with her into the kitchen.

"So, what happened?" Eden asked, sitting across from Sam at the kitchen table as he ate a bowl of homemade chicken ramen.
"I think it all got a bit much for her, you know? I get where she was coming from back there. She didn't ask to come back. She might've been Dean's gift, but it wasn't exactly fair on her." Sam sighed.
"I've been thinking that too. Amara dragged her out of her Heaven just so Dean could have his mum back... But she forgot that God's creations have free will." Eden nodded.
"What about here? How did the rest of your shopping trip go?"
"Um... Interesting." The girl shrugged. Sam frowned, silently urging her to elaborate as he blew on the ramen broth. "I finished up, went back to the car and finally confronted the Demon who's been tailing me all day."
"You were being followed? Why didn't you call me?" Sam raised his brows.
"Because you were busy and it was one little back-burner Demon. Nothing I couldn't handle." Eden replied.
"So... Why was this Demon tailing you?"
"Apparently Lucifer sent him to keep an eye on me. So, I sent him back with a rather painful reminder of what happens when you piss me off." Eden smirked.
"Why would Lucifer have Demons following you?" Sam frowned, shoving some noodles into his mouth.
"Not a clue. Probably still vexed that I'm not going on murder sprees with him anymore." Eden huffed, putting her head in her hands. "I wonder if the Pigeon had better luck than we did today."
"No idea. He's not answering his texts or calls." Sam replied.
Eden rolled her eyes.
"Bloody typical..."