I raised my brows at him. 

"Why are you with Gianna?" 

"Cause she's hot," I mumbled, taking a bite out of the sandwich while leaning back on my side, propping myself up on my elbow. 

"And Venus?" 

"What about her?" 

"When are you going to stop bothering her?" 

"Hey, look. Don't get so defensive just because you've been crushing on Remy for years, okay?" 

He looked away, glancing at Remy before looking back at me. "You know you don't have to listen to what your parents tell you, right? And anyway, you've got a choice. Bother her or stay away from her. Just stay away from her, you piss her off incredibly. And watching you annoy her pisses me off too because the things you do are intolerable." 

"That's the whole point. And if watching them annoys you, then don't watch, brother. But annoying her brings me pleasure." 

"Are you sure you don't just like finding reasons to interact with her?" he smirked teasingly. 

I rolled my eyes at him, my eyes going back to Venus. She was lying on her stomach, her yellow sundress hiking up just a bit. She kneeled, grabbed a jacket from her bag, and tied it around her waist before lying back down. She was talking to Remy while peeling an orange, squinting slightly under the sun. 

I looked over, spotting the guys playing football. He's about to kick it in that direction. This is Ezra. He's one of those people who stays on my team rather than Venus but he tries annoying her like I do as well. Which isn't his job, it's mine. 

He kicked the ball but she saw it coming and conveniently ducked her head down. 

She glared at him but ignored him, going back to her conversation. 

I pushed myself off the grass. 

"Caden, no," Roman warned. 

"Shh!" I hissed. I jogged over, picking up the ball and Ezra waved at me for the ball. I bounced it up and kicked it hard when it was about to reach the floor. It hit him right in the stomach as he caught it, letting out coughs of air. I walked over giving him a gentle push. "Don't kick that ball over there again, hear me?" I pointed a finger at him. 

"Goddamn, okay," he huffed. 

I walked back over, passing Venus. She was staring up at me a little confused. I ignored her gaze and went and sat back down with Roman. 

"I'll never understand you. Ever. You start a war with her and then you defend her when anyone else tries to do something to her," he laughed. 

"It's complicated, okay?" I huffed. 

"What is? Your feelings about her?" 

I shot him another glare. 

"Sorry, your opinions about her?" he scoffed. 

"I hate her," I said adamantly. 

"So you say," he shrugged, clearly not convinced. 

I shook my head. "I don't understand why we need to hate each other," I groaned. 

"So you admit that you just pretend to?" 

"No," I said quickly. "I hate her." 

"She's coming over," he mumbled. 

I looked up, spotting her walking over with a sheet of paper in her hands. She stood above me, glaring at me. 

"What have I done now?" I asked, pushing myself up to my feet. 

"Did I say you did something?" she deadpanned. 

Roman snorted, covering his mouth and looking away. I kicked his backpack into his stomach before turning my attention back to her. 

She handed me the paper. "This is your essay." 

"My essay? The one you tore? Did you bring it back with magic?" I smirked, reading it through. It was an essay. But not mine. 

"I wrote another one since I ripped yours apart." 

"And why did you write another one?" I arched a brow at her. 

"One of us has to be a little mature now, right? And I humiliated you how I wanted to anyway," she shrugged. "Take it if you want it, otherwise you can throw it away." 

I nodded, folding it up and keeping it in my hand. 

"By the way, you owe me a new notebook," she glared at me, turning to leave. I grabbed her wrist and yanked her back. She huffed in frustration, standing still. "What?" she huffed. 

I wanted to tell her 'thank you' for the essay. But I couldn't bring the words to spill out of my mouth. "Tell your dad I say hi," I smirked. 

Her glare hardened and she looked like she was going to punch me. She snatched the essay out of my hands and started walking away. 

"Well done, idiot," Roman nodded. 

I jogged over, catching up to her and blocking her path. "That's my essay." I snatched it back. 

"No, it's not. I wrote it. And for once I thought I'd have some humanity, but clearly, that's always a mistake when it comes to you. I changed my mind. I don't want to show you humanity. You threw my notebook, you took my notes, and your sassy little diva remark back there wasn't appreciated at all. So no thanks, I'll keep my essay to myself, that you very much," she rambled, snatching it right out of my hands and strutting away. 

I groaned, "Venus!" 

She turned to look at me, flipping me the finger before swiveling around and continuing to go back to her spot. 

I watched her, biting back a smile. This is why I bother her. Why I can't stop doing it. Because she always snaps back. 

Always. 

And she doesn't fall at my feet. And then everyone in the field cheered for her. Even people who like me better. 

She stood at her blanket and took a bow, grinning. Then she sat down and flipped the finger at me again.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 2

it's getting better dw dw

next chapter: family