"No. That's your choice to make." He replied, sincerely.

This sounded much better than handing me a blade and whispering me to kill someone.

"Okay."

As we walked past the garden and went inside, the trees swayed and the night got darker. I followed Xalorad into the manor and to the party.

Stopping on his tracks, he turned around and said, "I'll go give something to Barry so he can leave and then you can mingle around and have your fun, all right?"

"Yeah, I'll wait." I nodded.

I sat down by the back entrance while guards lingered around me. The hallway was empty and clear of anyone. After a couple of minutes, a man approached me and informed me that Mr. Barry was gone for work and he would no longer be at the party for the rest of the night.

I jumped with joy and went inside to find Hannah. God. It had just been an hour and I was already missing her. I wanted to have fun as well but there were so many things, so many fears in my head and now, all of them were gone.

"You're back!" Hannah squealed.

"And you're drunk."

"There was this hot dude that came to me when you left and he asked me where you went—"

My lips turned straight as I cut her off, "That was the Alpha."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot."

I snatched the drink away from her hands and set her down a chair. "Get sober and no more drinking. This is supposed to be a formal party, not a high-school one, Hannah." I scolded her.

"All right, Mommy." She pouted.

The second I sat down with her, by the table, someone called my name out. "Marissa!"

Raising my head, I found one of my friends, "Sophia?"

"Oh my god, you got selected!" She looped her hands around and hugged me. "And Hannah too! Congrats."

"Yes, and yes." I laughed, parting away. "You too!"

We all gathered around one table and started chatting. There were twelve of us girls that were selected for the tournament and I knew most of them personally as they were from my grade.

For a second there, I forgot about everything and had fun. The party continued with Mrs. Elias making an entrance and giving a little speech about the tournament and its history. We clapped our hands once she was done and then only I remembered how horrible our first encounter was.

I needed to fix that.

"Uh, I love her so much!" Sophia exclaimed, grunting. "My Dad told me she killed ten wolves at once and left the battlefield without getting a single mark."

Louisa took a sip from her drink and continued, "And let's not forgot she gave birth to the hottest man in earth!"

Peals of laughter rose from the table but I didn't laugh. It didn't seem funny to me. Maybe it was the crankiness of being fated to someone finally getting to me. Whatever it was, it was soon going to get worst if the girls didn't stop talking about Xalorad in a way I didn't want them to speak.

"Yeah, I still remember the night, so good." Sophia blushed hard and lowered her eyes in shame.

She was among the few girls who got to sleep with him and a year ago, she forced me to put my name on the list as well. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have ever slept with Xalorad and we wouldn't have known we were mates.

"Uh, I wish I could get that night too but the dungeon has been closed now, since weeks. No one in, no one out. Looks like someone cuffed the Alpha up." Louisa whined, placing her elbows on the table and holding her face.

Sophia let out a scoff, "That's impossible."

"Why not? There is something called as mates." Hannah beside me spoke. It took her a while but she was sober, a little bit.

"A mate has to be an equal and have we heard about any other hybrid in existence, girls?" Sophia asked everyone.

Hannah turned her eyes at me, confused just as I was. Only then I realized that I had to be equal to Xalorad to be his mate. Someone could be only be paired to an Alpha if they had the Alpha blood running in their veins. My family had the Beta blood in the genes, my grandfathers were Beta's as well. I didn't know about the ruling to be mated to a Hybrid but I did know about Alpha's and there was no one in my family who was one.

So, either there was something wrong with the whole fated-mates thing or maybe I finally understood the reason why my Dad hated me and Mom.

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr