Chapter 15 - Can't Help Falling In Love

Start from the beginning

Of course. She was always in tears because she was always hiding the truth about my future, a future that I wanted to keep from the Colonel for the time being. I didn't want to drop that bomb on him after what happened earlier. That would just make me feel worse. I didn't want to hurt anyone else. "Do you know if she's still here?"

He pointed a thumb over his shoulder. "I ran into Nancy out in the hallway just now, along with her shadow Miss Young, so I assume so."

"I wanna see if she's okay - Katelyn."

"I'm sure she's fine. I'm actually happy that she ran away after you kissed her. Other girls would take full advantage of that."

He had a point. Maybe I should take advantage of his reasoning. "So, she doesn't like me like that. I guess that's a good thing. So, as a friend, can I go see if she's okay? I can be quick about it."

I gave him my puppy-dog eyes and jutted my lower lip out a little. This only sometimes worked with him. I hoped it would now.

"Okay, stop with those eyes of yours," he complained. "Fine, but I'm going to be right behind you."

I stood up from the sofa. "Swell."

The Colonel was really a good manager. It was disheartening, learning what would happen to me because of him. Or he was at least a part of it a bit. I couldn't see that in him now, since he was allowing me to do something that he didn't want me to do. He wasn't a fan of Katelyn. I knew that much. It said a lot that he was letting me see her after she ran away after I kissed her.

We left my dressing room and went up to her dressing room door right across from mine. We heard something from the inside... singing.

"Do you hear that?" I asked the Colonel, leaning into the door.

"I hear it. She's not bad."

"I know."

We both came up close to the door. The words to the song came through...

"Take my hand, take my whole life too... for I can't help falling in love with you." She paused. "Wait, no, wrong pitch," we heard her say. She started again. "Wise men say only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you... Shall I stay? Would it be a sin... if I can't help falling in love with you?"

Those lyrics made in her sweet voice washed over me. What a beautiful song! "Elvis," the Colonel began to protest, but I put up and arm, muttering a "Shh."

"Like a river flows surely to the sea, darling so it goes some things are meant to be... Take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you. Like a river flows surely to the sea, darling so it goes, some things are meant to be... Take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you..."

The singing stopped, and my heart pounded rapidly while my mouth hung open. She had that kind of voice, and she hadn't said anything?! I knocked, not thinking about it first. The Colonel and I waited there for a couple of seconds, then the door opened. The moment Katelyn saw the both of us standing there, her eyes widened the widest that I had seen them go.

"Elvis!"

"Hey, Katelyn." Her face gained crimson, and how adorable that was. "Look, I just wanted to say first that I'm sorry about earlier. I'm sorry I made you go through somethin' that made you upset."

She shook her head. "No, no, don't be sorry. I was just embarrassed, that's all. I mean..." She glanced at the Colonel. I read her look. I muttered to him to step down the hall a little ways, out of sight. He did so. That seemed to do the trick. Katelyn continued, "Um, well, that was my..."