Chapter 5

Aaron had arrived home. He opened the door and walked directly into the lounge. He knew the family would be there. As he entered, his father and his aunt were the only two people there. As he proceeded forward, April formed a thin smile on her lips. "Look who came home. Dear we have a bone to pick with you."
Aaron sat down. If one thing his mom had ingrained in him before her passing, was kindness, especially to the elders. His dad glanced up at his son from his phone, put his phone down and initiated the conversation. "My son." He started. " My dear son, I cannot believe you would do that. Marry another? After I told you what plans we had for you. If only your mother was here. She had to go and die and not engrave any manners or obedience in my sons." Aaron clenched his fists. Yes she had died and wasn't there when he needed to feel her warmth as a child. Yet she wasn't incompetent as his father made out. She was a splendid mother who worked hard for her family. He sternly looked at his father. "Dad please do not talk about mom like that. No one could help that she died when she did. And I told you, I won't marry my first cousin. We don't live in the 1800s where this is normal, we live in the 21st century, where people should have more freedom. I will do anything, but please let me marry the girl I love and wish to be with." He asked, hoping to persuade his dad.
April scoffed. "Love? What love? My dear, I have saved Juliet for you. Anyone could have her, yet I have said no. She is beautiful, gorgeous, stunning. Why at this moment she is studying and being an obedient 19 year old. She is everything your ex is not."

Aaron internally rolled his eyes. Juliet was a brunette with brown eyes. She had longish hair. She had a crooked nose. She was pretty in her own way. Not drop dead gorgeous to him, not like Tiff. His aunt made out she was very pretty, but in fact she really wasn't that beautiful. Any natural beauty was covered with fillers and botox.
He had only realised she called Tiffany his 'ex.' He glared at his aunt and for the first time in his whole life he slammed his fist over the table. The thud echoed throughout the room. "She is not my ex." He sternly stated. "She will be my wife. Your daughter is not the one I want. If your daughter wants to marry tell her to use tinder or e harmony. I am not marrying her. For the record let me call her and ask her myself. No one has asked her in front of me. Juliet!" Aaron walked towards the stairs. "Juliet! Come down now. Let's settle this now."
April fidgeted. Her palms sweaty. She had to make an excuse. She had allowed Juliet to go clubbing and knew her daughter wouldn't be back till tomorrow morning.
"She won't answer." April started.
"My dear sister." Richard removed his glasses. "What makes you say so? You said she is working, unless of course she fell asleep on her desk or on the floor." April nodded quickly, trying to wiggle her way out. "Yes that's it. She may be sleeping. Do not disturb her. She needs her beauty sleep." April quickly dismissed herself from the lounge, slowly creeping up the staircase and into her daughters room.
"Yes she is sleeping. Do not come up and enter her room. It is bad manners for a man to be in a room where a single unmarried girl sleeps in." April called from the top of the staircase.
"Or she isn't there." Aaron scoffed.
"Did you say something dear?" April's lips formed a thin line. She had her brother wrapped around her finger and knew that if she said the three words 'how dare you' proceeded by a few sentences, her brother would lecture his son like no tomorrow. Just as Aaron was going to answer, his brother Harvey walked through the front door. "Good evening family." He said as he placed his car keys on the table.
"How are you son? You are back home late." Richard commented, his eyes up from his phone.
"Sorry dad, had a few emergency surgeries. I've eaten and I'm going to bed." He walked up the staircase to his room.
"I should follow." Aaron followed his brother up the stairs and went to his room.