Chapter 13: Learn the Secret

Start from the beginning

"No."

"Then what happened?"

"Nothing you need to know- It's not even that important." He retorted a little aggressively. Lucas flinched slightly, not expecting the tone.

Kylie studied Marshall's outlook. He obviously did not want to disclose this information to the pair, but Kylie was extremely curious now backed with the little bit of information provided by Lucas. Then, she remembered Team Lunar. Maybe they drove him out of his home, maybe he made some sort of smart remark that made them upset? That seems a little childish, but it was really the best she had to go on.

"Did Team Lunar chase you away?" Inquired Kylie.

Marshall didn't respond.

There was a silence.

Then a quiet sniffle as Marshall stood up. "I'm going to my tent." He said as he disappeared into the tent.

Lucas looked down at his feet a little guiltily.

Kylie, meanwhile, was deep in thought. She thought about everything she's seen the last couple of weeks. News reports, photos, everything. She perked her head up and looked at Lucas.

"Lucas, your cousin is the boy Team Lunar chased out of his home."

"Well, we knew that-"

"No, the boy. The one on the news every day because he's reported missing."

"What?"

"Yeah. It hasn't been on as of late, because people have seen him, but, before that, he's been considered missing for weeks."

"Why didn't he say anything?"

"It must be really tough for him. I'd imagine he misses his mother dearly."

"But I thought they saw each other?"

"Yes, but she, I'd imagine, left for his safety. He also was in the hospital, in comatose."

"That must be rough."

"You think?"

They fell silent again.

"Maybe we should-"

"Head to bed?" Kylie finished.

"R-right." He said.

"Sleep well, Lucas." Kylie said, as she rose to her feet and walked to her tent. Lucas went to the tent he shared with Marshall. Kylie waited for Lucas to close his tent, and then walked back to the campfire. Aside from being obligated to stay to make sure she didn't accidentally start a forest fire, she wanted to think to herself for a bit. Is that why he's been running away from everything? Why would Team Lunar want anything to do with someone so obscure? (Well, he isn't exactly obscure now..) Nobody even knows what their goals are... It'd be better to sleep on it and talk to him tomorrow, she thought. We've got things to do anyway. She thought. Just like that, Kylie rose, put out the last remaining bits of the fire, and then headed to her tent.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucas awoke the next morning to movement from his right. He blinked a few times and then kept his eyes open long enough to figure out it was just Marshall moving, getting out of bed.

"Marsh, slow down, you woke me up." Lucas told.

"Sorry." He said blandly as he left the tent.

Lucas rose from his place in the tent, stretching. It seems like a frigid morning, he could see his own breath.

Might as well get up now. He was already awake anyways and couldn't get back to sleep if he wanted to, so he clambered out of the tent with a sort of clumsiness, as if he didn't go camping very often.