chapter 19 ~ thanksgiving

Thanksgiving. A day where you could eat a whole bunch of food and pretend to enjoy the company of your family.

Fiona was persistent on us having a normal holiday, and I couldn't blame her after these last few weeks. But it wouldn't be a Gallagher family special if something didn't go wrong.

And on top of that, Monica hadn't left her bed in days. Another family perk of her having bipolar disorder.

"She still won't eat" Debbie sighed as I took the plate from her hands.

"I told you not to go up there Debs, she just needs some space" Fiona muttered.

If there was one thing I had learned about having Monica as a mother, it was when it came to her bipolar disorder, my older sister didn't care.

"I'll try to get her up" I reassured as I made my way up the stairs. I knew it wouldn't be any use, but it still couldn't hurt."Hey, Mom" I whispered, taking a seat on the edge of her bed.

I placed the toast and coffee down on the nightstand as she shoved her face farther under the covers.

"Thanksgiving coming up, so I was thinking we could make our famous apple pie. You know, like old times?" She stayed silent as I rested my chin on her shoulder. "Come on mom"

Growing up I always hated to see her in such moods, and it sucked that I couldn't do anything to help her.

"Honey, mom needs to rest" She mumbled, digging her head under the pillow. I let out a sigh, picking back up the plate of food.

"Right, of course" I muttered as I closed the door behind me.

I took a sip of the now cold coffee before making my way back into the kitchen.

"You coming to work?" Ian asked, placing his arm around me reassuringly.

"Deb's and I have a day of baking and a spam turkey to make" I laughed tiredly.

We didn't have enough money to buy and actual bird this year, so I was going to spend my afternoon carving one out of fake meat.

"Wanna start on the apple pie?" I suggested, handing my sister the bowl of fruit.

If my mom wasn't going to get up and help me, I could at least share our tradition with Debbie.

The two of us had been cooking the entire day and at this point all I wanted was a hot shower and a bunch of alcohol.

"You should go out, I got it from here?" Fiona smiled as I took off my apron.

I wasn't going to say no to that so I raced up the stairs to change out of my pajamas. I was hoping Monica and I would go to that club again today, but since she was occupied I figured I would go by myself.

It was a few days before Thanksgiving, which meant there would probably be a bunch of lonely guys. And I seriously needed to get laid with Mickey being in jail...

 And I seriously needed to get laid with Mickey being in jail