― SIX

OCEAN EYES ARMIN ARLERT
エメラルド↠ アルミン・アルレルト

╔══════ ° ° ══════╗

╚══════ ≪ ° ≋ ° ≫ ══════╝

╚══════ ° ° ══════╝

"HUH, YOU'RE JOINING THE SCOUTING Legion?" Eren asked Connie with disbelief lacing his tone. "Connie, you're number eight, aren't you? Mera mentioned to me that you wanted to be part of the Military Police because of your mother and your village, why give it up now?"

"That'd be nice, no doubt about it . . . but well . . ." Connie trailed off with a faint blush lacing his face. Mera rolled her eyes at their conversation, turning to Armin with slight irritation in her eyes.

"Wasn't Eren the one talking about how joining the Scouting Legion would be honorable and something like that?" Mera snorted, covering her mouth to stifle her laughter as she talked to Armin while assisting the Garrison. "What made him change his mind? I swear, that boy . . ."

"N-No! I – uh, it's him . . . that's right! Jean." Connie tried to think up of feeble excuses as to why he was thinking of joining the Scouting Regiment. "I didn't want to find myself in the same squad as this guy!"

"That doesn't explain how you found yourself inside the Scouting Legion." Mera sang as she passed by the three chatting while loading the cannons. Connie flushed at this, and turned away with denial in his face.

"Quit teasing him, Mera." Armin sweat dropped as he dragged Mera away from the trio. Mera laughed slightly, jumping on Armin's back. "O-Oi!"

"I remember when you used to carry me like this around Shiganshina." Mera murmured against his ear, leaning her head on his shoulder as his hands tightened around her thighs to prevent her from falling. "Don't you remember that?"

"Of course I do." Armin whispered, his blonde hair tickling Mera slightly, making her giggle as she got off of him. "You've been more cheerful since your mother visited you last night."

"She said a few words that made me rethink my choices." Mera remembered, closing her eyes as she beamed brightly at Armin. Suddenly, there was a loud shout of protest, making the two turn to the source of noise.

"Sasha . . . are you trying to get yourself hauled in an isolation cell??"

"You're really stupid, you know that? So dumb its scary . . ."

"We can all share it later . . . slice it up, eat it with some bread . . ." Sasha drooled as she thought of the heavy meal they would be having later. Mera chuckled at Sasha's silliness, Armin looking slightly scared of the consequences if they were going to go through with Sasha's plans.

"I'm scared, Armin." Mera suddenly says, making Armin stop in his tracks as he was about to get more supplies from the lift. He turned, and was surprised to see that Mera had small tears lacing her eyelashes. "I'm scared that I'll lose you, I'm scared that I'll lose everyone and I won't even be able to do anything."

"Mera. . ." Armin sighed and took her in his arms. The two swayed for a few moments, Armin patting Mera's head gently. "It's okay to be afraid, it's okay to feel human feelings. I ― I can't promise that you won't lose me or Eren or Mikasa or anyone at all, but we all know that we won't give up without a fight. You're incredibly strong, Mera. I admire you so much. You'll be fine."

"I'll protect you." Mera whispered, burying her face into Armin's neck. "If I need to beg Erwin to let us be in the same squad, I'll gladly do so. I don't know what I'll do without you, Armin."

A loud strike of lightning pulled them away from each other, a steaming hot gust of wind causing damage to Mera. She immediately shot her hooks to the wall, saving her from falling to the ground. She clutched her head in pain, having banged it on the wall when she landed. "Armin! Are you alright?!"

"Just peachy!" Armin yelled back, glancing at Mera who had blood dripping down the side of her head. "Mera, you're hurt!"

"I'll be fine!" Mera shook her head. She used her omni-directional maneuver gear to travel to where Armin was, clasping his face in her hands. "If I'm not wrong, this was the same lightning that struck outside Shiganshina five years ago. Armin whatever happens ―"

Armin pressed his lips to her, silencing her next few words. Once he pulled away, Mera had tears streaming down her face. "Don't die. Not now, not ever."

"Armin . . ." Mera pressed her forehead to his, not wanting to leave the blonde. After a last rushed kiss, Mera shot her grappling hooks forward with a new found determination in her eyes. "Don't die on me, Armin!"

That's right, you better not die on me, Armin. I'll go to hell and back to kill you myself if you do.