― FOUR

OCEAN EYES ARMIN ARLERT
エメラルド↠ アルミン・アルレルト

╔══════ ° ° ══════╗

╚══════ ≪ ° ≋ ° ≫ ══════╝

╚══════ ° ° ══════╝

MERA SIGHED AS SHE WALKED towards the girls' barracks for the last time. When she entered, she was immediately bombarded with questions, the girls wanting to know how they didn't even figure out how Mera was Hange's daughter. The two shared similar features, one of them being their eyes.

"Mera, Eren and Armin's waiting for you." Mikasa grabbed her shoulder gently, leading her out of the barracks with the girls whining about the loss of their only source for answers. Mera sighed in relief when she was out of the barracks, internally thanking Mikasa for saving her from the questions. "I understand why you didn't tell us about your mother, but I think Eren won't think the same."

"Oh well, I'll make him see my point then." Mera smiled slightly, walking down the steps of the stairs leading to Eren and Armin. "He'd be an idiot not to understand, and just like I said earlier, they didn't really ask me who my mother was, right?"

Mikasa let out a small chuckle, looking at Mera with a fond look in her eyes. "Of course you'd find a loophole. With your mental capabilities, I wouldn't doubt that you're Section Commander Hange's daughter. You and Armin are very compatible with each other."

"So are you and Eren, but you don't hear that from me." Mera whistled, looking away from Mikasa who had a slight pink flush on her face from the statement.

"Mera!" Armin called out, waving his hand towards the brown haired girl. Mera smiled when she saw Armin, the boy who had been with her through thick and thin. He patted the space beside him lightly, gesturing for her to take a seat.

Before Eren could even utter a word, Mikasa slapped the back of his head. Eren yelped, and Mikasa eyed him. "You tend to act impulsive when things get out of hand, almost on reflex. Leave Mera alone."

"What happened while I was away, by the way?" Mera asked curiously, turning her head to Armin, who she knew would give a solid answer.

"Lance Corporal Levi glared at the rest of the cadets who were staring at you and Section Commander Hange, so they all turned back to their meals." Armin reported silently while Mikasa and Eren had their own conversation. "Eren started speaking about his dream again, to eradicate the world of the titans, and like always, Jean argued with him. The two fought for a while before Mikasa grabbed Eren and brought him here. She walked away and returned with you a short while after that."

"Eren." Mera placed a hand on his shoulder, making him turn to her. "I understand that you have a dream, and you have this determination to get rid of the titans, but you have to learn that you can't do this by yourself. Don't push your dreams to another person, because they have reasons on why they're here as well ―"

"Yeah, to become cattle and slave away under the king," Eren snorted, shaking her hand away. "I don't know why you're trying to defend them, you're just stooping to their level."

Mera bit her lip, staring at the sky instead. Armin grabbed her hand comfortingly, showing her that he was still with her and that there was no need to worry. Mera sighed, "My words won't change you. I know that much. I'm just saying that people have their own reasons. Connie once mentioned to me that he wanted to be part of the Military Police because he wanted to make his village and his mother proud. Don't you think that's honorable in itself?"

Eren bitterly nodded. Mera gave him a small smile and leaned her head on Armin's shoulder. "You're still planning on the Scouting Regiment, right?"

"Of course." Eren nodded his head. He then turned his head to Mikasa, who had remained silent throughout their conversation. "Speaking of which, about what Jean said earlier . . . where will you apply for exactly?"

"I'll join the Scouting Regiment." Mikasa stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world Mera already knew this, having discussed with Mikasa about their regiments the day before or so.

"You're top of our class . . . go for the police." Eren tried convincing Mikasa otherwise, trying to think up for points as to how he can tell Mikasa to do so. "In addition, few people in history have demonstrated as much talent as you have, you would certainly be granted special treatment."

"Do you honestly think that way of Mikasa, Eren?" Mera asked her friend incredulously. "Do you think she'd go to a regiment just because she gets special benefits? I'm joining the Scouting Regiment, and I've already asked my mom not to treat me any differently than the other cadets, I don't want to be treated above them just because I'm her daughter."

"Mera . . ." Armin trailed off, his eyes glazing over in awe of the girl next to him.

"I want to be known as myself, not just as the Section Commander's daughter."