Chapter 19

"As my seventh question I want you to tell me something you haven't told anyone or something barely anyone knows about you," I say firmly so he can't say no.

"Like what?" he sighs knowing he can't get out of this one.

"Like your childhood, or your first love, or-"

Matteo cuts me off, "I don't fall in love."

"Yeah, I know. Said every mafia boss ever. You may not want to show it but you have definitely fallen in love at some point."

"Fine, I'll tell you about my first love and childhood," Hell yeah, double bonus, "I had a rough childhood. My father, Marcello, only ever talked to me about how to be a mafia boss so I never really had a father figure. Like I told you before, my mom passed away when I was young. Lorenzo grew up with me. Other than not having a father figure or a mother my childhood was normal for a child of a mafia boss. Now, my first love. I fell in love with a girl who was working for a different mafia. We dated for two years before she broke up with me and stole a bunch of information from us. I vowed never to fall in love ever again after that. Marcello beat me for my mistake."

There is a silence that follows. I sit there and think about everything he just told me, "Wow."

"Wow? I tell you my life story and all you can say is wow?"

"We are so much alike. I never had any patents and neither did you. My sibling passed away and your mom passed away. Your first love stabbed you in the back and my three best friends stabbed me in the back. Oh! And both our fathers are mafia bosses!" I say in amazement. Who knew how much alike two strangers could be.

"That's why I like you," he mumbles so quietly he thinks I didn't hear him.

"You're okay, I wouldn't say I like you though," I joke but he doesn't seem to like my joke.

"What?"

"I heard what you mumbled, 'that's why I like you'" I mimic him, "So would you say that's why you kissed me?"

"Stop asking me these questions."

"Um, let me think. No. Since you like me that means everything you have done wasn't 'just for sex' like you said, right?" I pressure him.

"Damn it. Yes, that's why I kissed," he starts yelling, "That's why I didn't kill you. I find out something new about you everyday and every day you amaze me more and more. We went through such similar childhoods and yet your this blazing ball of sunshine and I'm just a dark, emotionless mafia boss. I don't understand how you stay so positive." The car is speeding down the highway now at over 100 miles per hour. I guess I pressured him too much, but I got my answers.

"I don't," I say calmly, "I cry every night silently. I have nightmares every night. I don't sleep so I don't wake up you of Rosina with my screams. I haven't slept in weeks. I want to be someone who stops people like Maxim but yet I just murdered him and I feel nothing. If anything I feel as if he deserved it." Tears flood my eye and I cry. I let it all out. I curl my knees up to my chest and wrap my arms around them. I feel Matteo's hand grab mine and lace our fingers together. Somehow, in some unspoken way I know he is telling me we will get through this together.

Matteo's POV:

By the time we get back to the house, Eve has cried herself to sleep. I know even though she may be peacefully sleeping now, she will soon be violently thrashing and screaming but I don't have the heart to wake her up. I get out of the car and carry her up to my room. I place her on the bed and have Rosina change her clothes. I change into joggers and lay next to her, placing her head delicately on my chest.

I don't fall asleep but lay there waiting to comfort Eve when she wakes up. I thought that I would never fall in love ever again but here I am falling for a girl I've only known for two months. Eve isn't just any girl. I can't lie to myself. She is a girl who has gone through hell and back and still manages to smile. It's incredible how unbelievably careless this girl is, in both a good way and a bad way. Eve, I promise as long as your with me I will protect you. I will make sure no one ever hurts you ever again. I will burn the world down just to see you smile.

Eves POV:

He looks around the room with an evil flint in his eyes and a horny dick in his pants. I turn around and face the other way so maybe just maybe he won't pick me, "Eve, I want you."

I reluctantly walk towards him and follow him to his. I know the way to his room and every knock and cranny by heart now. Whenever I am in there I look at anything other than him. I've counted the number of books on the bookshelves, 547, I've counted how many shirts are in his closet, 24, I've counted everything.

When we get into the room he pushes me on the bed, "Be a good girl and do what I tell you too." I nod my head yes but that isn't good enough for him, "What do you say?"

"Yes, sir." I try to run, scream, punch, anything but I can't move.

"Eve! Eve! You're okay. It's just me Eve. I'm here Eve, I'm here for you," I wake up covered in sweat and hearing Matteo yelling at me.

I feel Matteo next to me but don't know where I am. As I look around at the dark wood, bookshelves, and clothes all over the room I realize I'm in his room. I roll over, press my head to his chest and calm my breathing down, "Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me, Eve. I will always be here for you. Now go back to sleep, I will be here if you need me," I close my eyes and listen to Matteo's heart beating in his chest. I match his breathing and quickly drift off to sleep wrapped in his arms.

For the first night in forever, I don't wake up to nightmares. Safely in his arms, I get a good night's sleep.

I wake up to the sun shining in my face. I go to roll over but the arms around me won't let me. I quickly remember that I am in Matteo's bed wrapped in his arms. I don't need to roll over, who cares if the sun is shining in my face, I like it in Matteo's arms.

"Stop moving and let me sleep," I hear Matteo murmur.

"Sorry, I forgot that I was in your bed."

"I don't care. Let me sleep. I stayed up next to you to make sure you didn't have any more nightmares, now you have to stay up next to me and make sure I am warm," someone's not a morning person. I feel his arms get tighter around me.

Next thing I know someone has to ruin our moment. Seriously, these Russians have awful timing. The window shatters and both Matteo and I are up and have our guns raised in a matter of seconds.

Two Russians stand up and aim their guns at us.