Chapter 8

"Eve, I need to tell you something," I get worried about what she is going to tell me. Her eyes are full of regret.

"What's wrong?" I cautiously ask her.

"I...I am not going to stay here for long. I am only staying the night, then I am going to leave so I can finally live a normal life," her words hit me like a fucking hippopotamus on a motorcycle going one hundred miles per hour, "It's not like I don't want to stay with you, it's just I don't want to stay with the mafia and they don't need me. You have the information, not me. I am really sorry I love you Eve and you know that. I feel bad leaving but-" I cut off her rambling because I know that if I didn't she would go on forever.

"It's okay," I fake a smile, "You deserve to live a normal life," I hug my best friend maybe for the last time ever. We stay there holding each other for a while. I don't know how long but eventually we hear a knock at the door.

Matteo was standing in the doorway, "I suggest you girls go to bed. You are going to have a long day tomorrow," He starts to walk to his room.

"Wait, Matteo?" Maya calls out to him.

He stops and comes back, "What?" he asks in a rude tone.

"C-can I leave?" his face morphs into confusion, "Not right now, but I don't want to stay here. I want to go live a normal life that doesn't have anything to do with any mafia," Maya pleads to Matteo hoping he will say yes.

"Yes, please. I'll set up a ride for you to leave tomorrow morning. That makes my life so much easier," Matteo says very relieved and lets out a sigh.

"Ha, I wouldn't say that because you still have to deal with me," I say with a cocky smile on my face.

One look from Matteo and the grin is wiped right off my face. He glares at me with his beautiful green eyes. I look at Maya and hug her goodnight before walking to my room and Matteo goes to his.

I don't want to go to sleep, I am afraid I will have more nightmares and wake up Matteo and Maya. I can tell that I am already a burden on Matteo, even though he definitely deserves it, I don't want to become an even bigger one. I can feel my tears stinging my eyes. I walk over to the bookshelf and pick which book world I will be immersed in tonight. There were very few options on what to read but I decided on reading the Divergent series. I have read it before but I needed something to keep me awake.

I read until about five in the morning when I hear a knock on my door, "Come in," Matteo walks in. His face showed a little bit of surprise for half a second then he went back to his emotionless face, but that was long enough for me to notice.

"Get dressed in nice clothes, I will be introducing you to some people today," he states.

"Okay." I shut my book and get up.

He walks out and closes the door. I walk over to the closet to get dressed. I pick out black jeans shorts, a white and black leopard print tank top, and a black leather jacket. I put a nice black and gold belt on and my personal touch of thigh-high-heeled boots as usual. I noticed a waist holster and gun on one of the shelves of the walk-in closet. I grab the holster and clip it to my belt and put the gun in the holster.

I go into the bathroom to get ready, I straighten my hair and put on some makeup. Matteo told the truth when he said everything we might need is in the rooms.

"Are you almost done?" I hear Matteo call out from the other side of the bedroom door.

"Yes, one sec," I walk to the door and open it.

Matteo looks me up and down, "You shouldn't carry a gun if you don't know how to use it," he says as he starts walking away. Matteo is wearing a black suit with a white undershirt and a black tie. He has a gold watch on his wrist and I can see a tattoo snaking out from underneath it.

"It's a good thing I know how to use it then," I'm not lying when I say this. When I first got out of the whore house I learned how to use a gun as the very first thing and bought one when I was nineteen.

We walk down the hall and down these steps and then down another hall and up steps and I was so lost. This place is the size of fucking Africa. Finally, we get to a room. Before we walk in he says to me, "Don't speak unless spoken to or else I won't stop them from doing what they want with you."

"Well, then you won't stop me from doing what I want with them," I say tapping my gun and with a smirk, as we walk in.

We walk in and Matteo sits at the far end of the table and gestures for me to sit in the seat next to him. There are men all around the table. Six to be exact. They all stare at me greedily, like they want to devour me. Like I am an item for their pleasure. Gross. All except for Enzo who smiles at me kindly and apologetically at the same time.

"Okay let's get right to it," Matteo starts talking about stocks and business stuff. The weariness from no sleep was starting to kick in now that they were talking all the business stuff. I start to drift off, "Eve, do you know anything about their main bases compound?" I don't hear Matteo ask that "Eve?" he says with a stern voice this time and glaring at me. Or maybe that just his regular face?

"Huh? What?" I ask, suddenly coming back to the conversation.

"We asked you if you know anything about their main base warehouse," Matteo asks me again.

"She was hardly there for an hour, she won't know anything." the man at the end of the table says and rolls his eyes.

I look at the man with a straight face and then back at Matteo who was still looking at me, "Yes, I do. I overheard one of them talking one time, they said something about the base being a two-hour drive away and going through a no cell service zone on the way." I shoot a glare at the man who said I wouldn't know anything.

"Lorenzo I want you to set up a perimeter around the whore house with a two-hour radius. Then find out where there is a no cell service zone," I sat there thinking about when I had overheard that conversation. He had just slapped me across the face and my ear was ringing a little but I could still hear him clearly. He was talking to a new member, "Drive two hours in that direction," He points in a direction but I had no idea if it was north, south, up, or down, "There will be a zone where you have no service. Once, you get through that it will be on your right."

As I remember I speak up, "He also said that once you go through the no service area it will be on the right," I say this as I stare at the table but I could feel all their eyes on me. I look up at Matteo.

"Lorenzo, make sure you remember that," Matteo says turning to look at Enzo.

The meeting goes on for a little while longer. They ask me more questions like if I know who the leader is, how many whore houses they have, and how many girls were in them. I am glad they didn't ask me who their second in command is because I can't even say his name without freaking out and crying. Judging by the questions they asked me I assumed they wanted to free the girls in the whore houses. I had to make up reasons why I know the things I do. I told them I counted how many girls were in the house when they saved me not that I made friends with every girl and know all of their names after the years I was in there previously. I told them I saw a map and counted the houses, not that I was transported between them all to please all the guys.

After the meeting, Matteo took me to say goodbye to Maya before she leaves. We walk down the steps that lead to the front doors. I walk out the doors and over to Maya who is about to get in the car, "Maya, wait," I call out to her as I fast walk over to her, not wanting to run in heels, "I'm going to miss you so much," I say hugging her tightly.

"I'm sure I'll see you again soon," as we hug, her arms around my neck and mine around her waist, I feel her put a folded-up piece of paper in the strap of my bra. I don't say anything about it but nod at her to show her I know it's there.

Then she gets in the car and drives away. I wave as the car moves farther and farther away. The farther the car went the more alone I felt. My only friend I have ever had just left me.