“My my, do I have to spell it out for you?”

He did, in fact, not spell it out for me. But instead, he decided to show some gestures.

“This? You understand now?”

He placed his index finger and thumb finger together. He then used his ring finger on his other hand and put it through that hole he made.

“Is that some kind of innuendo? It would be better if you just say it.”

He sighed and just said it.

“Aren't you going to marry Kiara?”

I spat out the drink that I was about to swallow. My ears heard something unbelievable.

“Marry? Kiara?”

“You make it sound like it's the end of the world. Yes, marry her. You both have been together for who knows long. Like, sealing the deal, get it now? - wouldn’t be a bad idea.”

Kiara and I have been together for a very long time. But we haven't talked about getting a permanent memento for our love. It didn't cross my mind at any moment I could think of.

I comforted Death-sensei about the origin of such a question.

“Why would you ask me that question? Did Kiara ask you to?”

He gave me a yes-no response with an indifferent expression.

“The origin doesn't really matter. It came from my own curiosity.”

“Is it the first one on the other? choose one.”

He began losing his cool vibe and gave off a geeky aura.

“Look, look, look here, Calli. I am just wondering, that's why, ok?”

I narrowed my eyes at him and took another sip of my favourite wine, Death’s embrace. 

I looked beyond him and spotted a couple getting wasted with another person with them. Their manners were poor, but at least they weren't shouting. The ones in the relationship were a male and female with the ‘another’ person being a female. They looked close as he wrapped his arm around the girl, making his manly presence known. The sad girl on the sidelines didn't express much of what they were doing. She slowly drank her water and let it be.

But the unexpected happened.

I overheard their conversation a bit with the man speaking first to the sad-looking girl.

“Babe, she said she is willing to join us. So what do you say? You're gonna let me hit y'all both tonight?”

The girl looked at the other girl with overflowing lustful interest in her eyes. Accompanying her eyes, down below, she was rubbing her legs together.

“Let's take her, I can't bear to wait any longer.”

I faced away from them and continued sipping the wine in front of me. Moments later, behind me was chatter and strange squealing noises from multiple people leaving the bar.

“Looks like she wasn't sad after all.”

“Death-sensei, you and I had the same impression. To think those people had that kinda relationship.”

“Love comes in all shapes and sizes. You'll be surprised to know what other types of relationships there are in this world.”

Swirling around the wine in my hand, I thought back to the first question he had asked me with my eyes closed.

Marry Kiara?

Marry Kusotori?

A Phoenix?

Hmm

With how forward I have been recently, making a jump like that is…

Hmm

It wouldn't be a bad idea, but we haven't talked about this before. I assumed she would…

Hmm

This is a hard one.

“You don't have to give me an answer now. When you're ready, you can tell me if you feel like it.”

“Hmm…”

“Calli, Underworld to Calliope Mori? Hellooo?”

I addressed him suddenly.

“Death-sensei?”

“Yes!?”

I didn't face him when I responded. My eyes were still closed.

“I don't think our relationship needs any ‘sealing the deal’.”

“Is that so?”

“We are happy as we are right now. If we want to solidify it, then it is both our decisions to make. I can't offhandedly give you an answer. If I did, that would count as a form of betrayal of sorts.”

“Don’t worry. I completely understand.”

Thus, leaving this topic concluded.

“It was fun talking to you for a while. I think it's getting really late. I'm going to go home, and sleep? yeah.”

I rose from my seat and said later to Sensei for the night.

“Wait, I forgot to ask you something.”

He stopped me in my tracks.

“I'm just wondering…”

What is with these wondering questions?

“Let's say if, Kiara…

Kusotori?

“Asked you to, I don't know, marry…”

“...”

“Her? Would you decline her proposal?”

“...”

“...”

“If it did happen. This is just a hypothetical situation. It being a reality will be jarring since I'm the most masculine of the two. The brute, I would say.”

“Sooo?”

“Sooo, my response is unknown to me. I don't know how I would react if that hypothetical situation became reality.”

“I see.”

He turned around his seat and didn't say anything else. I left the bar feeling like someone invaded my private life. 

When walking home, the thought of her proposing to me fills me with discomfort. But not my entire being is opposed to it. 

“What happened to me?”

Over these few months, something changed inside me, for the better or the worst. I can't cross-examine myself.

“Ahhh, my head hurts.”

I drank way more than I used to today. The Sleepy Reaper is arriving earlier than usual.