Chapter 6. The Halloween Feast

Start from the beginning

Harry kept his eye on the corner for a while until he saw Draco stand as he was called over to another table. As he moved across the room, Harry's eyes fixated on the Slytherin, who looked stunning in an dark emerald shirt that hugged his body perfectly, showcasing his toned arms and slim abdomen. The colour matching his platinum hair beautifully. The classy details of his silver watch peeping from under his cuff and his snake buckle belt which Harry admired. 'Classic Draco, always oozing with style' he thought.

As Draco moved across the hall Harry couldn't help but let his gaze drop to his trousers and was delighted to see his perfect arse hugging those skinny black trousers. He moved with such grace, he looked stunning tonight. For a brief second, their eyes met across the room, Harry embarrassed at being caught gawking at Draco, who smiled gently. A smile that said "You look amazing". Harry quickly closed his mouth and smiled back, running a hand through his messy hair that despite being brushed profusely before arrival, had bounced back to its usual nest. He dropped his gaze down to the table then across to Dean, where he re-joined the conversation in an attempt to stop staring at the boy across the room.

Hours later into the feast, there were food remains scattered all across the tables, cauldrons almost empty surrounded by spillages from over excited students. The dance floor was filled and the music was booming across the hall now, groups of people still conversing at tables but the dignified feast had definitely become a real party.

Harry had spent the last hour talking with a group of Ravenclaw fifth year boys about Quidditch and telling several Slytherin students some of the best gossip he had on various Professors around the school. They particularly enjoyed the juicy story of Trelawney getting slightly high every Wednesday before a certain fourth year class that drove her bonkers. "I walked in one morning to drop off an essay and she was completely spaced out, managed to get her talking" he winked

Eventually Harry sat alone at the large table, sipping on punch while he surveyed the room.

Most of his friends had relocated to the dance floor. Ron with Hermione, Dean with Ginny, Neville with Luna doing some rather obscure moves. The rest of his friends socialising across the room, lost in the dim light and loud music.

A sudden low feeling hit him in the pit on his stomach, one which he couldn't quite put his finger on. He was at a party, surrounded by his loved ones, enjoying the music and the food, why did he feel so alone?

He looked across the hall to where Draco was dancing with Pansy, twirling her around his arm, the two of them lost in the music, laughing together. Harry smiled at this, admiring how close their friendship was, reminding him of the dance he shared with Hermione last year in the tent. The memory caused him to look back at Ron and Hermione dancing together, both of them grinning from ear to ear, singing carelessly, Hermione making fun of Ron's terrible moves. How much difference a year makes.

Harry wanted so badly to go over to Draco but something was holding him back. Anxiety made him feel like the whole room knew of his recent feelings for Draco, though rationally he knew no one suspected a thing, he felt like he needed space. Draco was just a bumbling, apologetic idiot a few weeks ago, he would've easily spoken to him, now he had all these new feelings, even just a simple chat felt so difficult.

Hermione broke away from the dance floor leaving Ron showing his best moves to Professor Flitwick who simply couldn't grasp it. The poor man looked close to being trampled.

Hermione slumped down on the seat and took a swig of her cocktail. "Hey!"

"Hey, 'Mione" Harry replied

"Are you going to join us? It really is fun, Harry"

"I'm alright at the moment actually. I think I just need a bit of air" Harry said gesturing to the door