Chapter 3 On the Floor

"Kennedi," someone said. It was faint.

"What happened?" another voice said.

I opened my eyes but the world was spinning.

"Kennedi are you okay?" the first person said again.

My chest heaved as I struggled to breathe. It felt as if I had something pushing down on it. Oh, I must have forgotten to take off my binder.

I reached behind me but my shirt blocked access. I tried to take it off but it was tucked into my pant— I wasn't wearing pants. Suddenly I remembered where I was and what I was wearing and sat up.

Joy's mom was in my face. She backed up.

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

My breathing picked up and I struggled to pull in air. Well, you had a good run, Walker.

"Calm down." Joy's mom said. "What's wrong with her? Does she have asthma?"

I couldn't catch my breath. She's gonna kill me! I gotta ru— the world faded again.

***

My nose was suddenly filled with what smelled like cat piss. I turned on my side and coughed. I opened my eyes and there was a man in blue jeans in front of me. He had a small vial in his hands.

"See, I told you it would work," he said. He put the small vial in a white pack with a red plus symbol on it.

A medical bag, I thought.

"Wa- Kennedi are you okay?" Joy said.

Luckily I was still in Joy's room. They had put me on her bed.

"You okay down there?" the man said.

I nodded.

"What happened?" he asked.

"P-panic a-attack." I stuttered.

His eyebrows went up and then he nodded. "Can you get up?"

I sat up, shifting my weight to lift my body. My arms shot to my sides to brace myself.

Joy's dad's hand darted out in a blur, supporting my back. "Are you going to be okay," he asked.

The worried look on his face scared me. "Y-yeah."

My breathing was starting to get out of control again but as I looked at Joy's dad I calmed down.

After he was sure I wasn't going to pass out he removed his hand and looked around the room. "Joy, why is your room such a mess?"

"Dad..." Joy responded in that whiny 'not while my friends are here' tone.

Her dad? I took a few deep breaths.

"Clean up, get her some water, and come down to eat," he said.

For some reason, his presence didn't seem to bother me as much as Joy's mom. Perhaps it was because I knew how to get along with guys.

I noticed Joy's mom was in the doorway with a hand on her chest. She looked worried but didn't come into the room.

Joy's dad joined her in the doorway. "By the way," her dad said, "I'm Mark and this is my wife Heather."

They smiled at me.

I waved at them and then put my hand back so I wouldn't fall.

"Kennedi is it?" he asked.

I nodded.

"See you downstairs," he said and closed the door.

My breathing eased up.