Chapter Five | What are Friends For?

Start from the beginning

There wasn't much of an in-between.

Once they made it to the building and wandered into the correct class they took the empty seats somewhere in the middle of the room. The professor didn't seem to care that they were at least fifteen minutes late, to which Ember was grateful.

She quickly took out her laptop and typed what was on the board into a blank document. This particular class was nothing more than an extra credit course.

It would make her look a bit better when she decided to go get a job as a medical interpreter. However, this was also going to be a boring class considering it was the basics of ASL. At first, she was confused as to why she had to take the class when she passed to get into the more advanced ASL classes.

Though she tried not to think of it like that, this could be a good way to maybe refresh herself on something she missed in the past.

Karter took the seat beside her and looked through his bag until he got his notebook and pencil. He didn't seem like the guy who would really pay much attention to class or people talking in general but to her surprise he took notes.

As the class went by Ember might have started to wander away to her own little world. This morning was a complete mess and when she felt this way it was very difficult not to replay everything she did wrong from the start of her day.

First thing this morning, when she woke up she had to awkwardly get ready alongside her roommate. Normally she was up before the blonde but today she wasn't.

Holland had tried to talk to her a few more times and Ember tried not to be rude, but all she could really muster was a few nods to the blonde's comments.

Ember hated herself for being such a bitch to her, but when Ember would look to her to try and explain she would either get too hot and bothered or she'd just plain panic-and when Ember panicked her body took over and shut down.

She knew she needed to talk to the woman at some point, the last thing she wanted was for Holland to think she was just being rude the whole year. She would figure that one out on her own.

By the time Ember came back to reality Karter was nudging her arm for her to get up. When she looked around the classroom was quickly emptying even the professor himself left.

"You zoned out," Karter commented, grabbing his own things.

Ember nodded in response and blankly looked down at her notes consisting only of the dates she needed to remember for that class.

"Uh, well I'm going to steal stuff from my cousin's tea stash if you want to come along," Karter said, throwing his backpack over one of his shoulders.

Ember couldn't help but laugh at his bluntness, he seemed to say whatever came first to mind, so she nodded.

'Sure,' she signed and grabbed her own things before walking back to the dorms with him.

On the way there he talked about how if he walked outside at night in the north section of the campus it looks like he was being followed by Slenderman. The boy knew all about the creepypastas even more real things the stories had done to people.

He said about how two kids thought they were being called by Slenderman and how they wanted to go to his castle. "They even stabbed their friend and left her in the woods. She made it out alive but fuck, I can't imagine how she and her family got through something like that. They were her friends and they just lured her out into the woods to kill her."

By the time he finished his story, they were back to the dorms.

Ember never thought about creepypastas all that much. She wasn't into many fictional horror stories like them, however, she loved most things horror in general, the real stuff was what she mostly focused on though.