Chapter 45: Complications

Start from the beginning

"Mr. Y/N, please tell us we're not going to have to say goodbye" Midoriya begged. I just looked at all these idiotic kids, who expect so much from me. 

I can't be mad at them for having such high expectations of me, no way. I'm just tired, I've wanted to rest for so long. 

"Let’s watch a movie, I don't have to work for the rest of the day" I said, dodging the question. There's no point in making promises you have no idea if you could keep or not. Because making promises like that can hurt a lot of people, and I don't want to hurt anyone. 

I put on a few movies and the students called the rest of the class to get to my house. We were laughing, eating everything in my fridge and talking our worries away. 

I almost forgot about the files sitting on top of my kitchen counter, of course I couldn't help but let my mind drift to them. 

I had to read those soon, because now Machima would surely have my schedule full with cases the other detectives couldn't solve. 

Little by little, all the students started leaving when the movie ended to get to their dorms, thanking me for inviting them. Even though this all happened because a few of them broke in. 

"Thank you sir, and sorry about coming here without permission" Midoriya said, scratching the back of his head. He was the last one to leave, his friends waiting outside so they could walk back. 

"No problem, you should start going now before Aizawa comes looking for all of you for missing curfew" I mused, patting him on the back. He looked troubled, something was definitely on his mind. "Something wrong?" 

"It's just, I feel like bad things are happen all around us and I feel so useless. I see you suffer, and I feel like I can't do a single thing to help you" Midoriya admitted, eyes brimming with tears. 

"You're not useless kid. All Might chose you, you are capable of so much more than you think you are. I have faith in you, now you need to have faith in yourself" I encouraged. 

Midoriya nodded, wiping his eyes with his sleeve. I huffed out a laugh, he was such an emotional kid. I ushered him out so he could walk back to campus. 

I let my shoulders finally sag, letting my tired self resurface. I closed the door and walked back to the living room, cleaning up the mess and organizing everything back to the way it was before. 

I grabbed the files resting on the kitchen counter and walked the box towards the couch, practically throwing myself on the cushions to get comfortable. 

I opened the box, immediately seeing it filled with new files. 

I read through them, each telling me more in depth info on their quirks as well as their past crimes. 

Seikatsu had a few things filed, but nothing on his history, including his grudge against me. He had a few attacks filed, but nothing close to the amount of attacks he's actual done. 

His team were more detailed, explaining their quirks as well as history. 

I could determine how long they were working for Seikatsu depending on their recorded assaults. If I had to guess who Seikatsu had his most trust in, it would be Dream Catcher. She puts them in a dream, Seikatsu kills them once they've chosen to stay asleep. 

She can even give them a nightmare before showing a dream, just to make the victims desire to stay that much greater. 

I opened up Ren's file. His execution was already labeled, including all his past crimes I managed to link to him the day of his trial. Two pictures of Kota and Eri tumbled out of his file and I slowly picked them up. 

It says Ren had the pictures on him when he attacked those two, which was understandable considering he had to make sure he was attacking the right kids. 

I examined the photos closely, looking at them one by one. 

Something didn't add up. 

I picked up my phone and dialed forensics. 

(Forensic scientists examine evidence, like fingerprints or how long something has been in one spot) 

"Hello?" Tracy, a good friend of mine, answered. 

"Hey Tracy, I need a favor" 

"Sure Y/N, what's up?" 

"I need you to examine some photos for me and find out how long they've been printed for" I explained. 

"Of course, stop by the lab whenever, I'll be here" 

"Thanks" I hung up and continued to look at the images. 

I have no idea how those villains even managed to get these photos of Kota and Eri, but it couldn't be long. The clothes they wore in the pictures wasn't long ago. 

These were the same pictures I took of them so they could be filed under my custody. If this is the case, then the villains managed to get a copy of the photos. 

But how the hell did they even find out I was taking care of them? They had to have known for a while, but I'll find that out once I get the results for how old the photo is. 

Me adopting Kota and Eri didn't make the news and only people from UA knew about it and of course a few close friends of mine. 

So how the hell did they figure it out? Including where they went so school or the time I wouldn't be with them the day Ren attacked them. If my suspicions were correct, then it made everything more complicated. 

Someone was leaking information.