xxii. human trials and long into an abyss

Dᴀɴᴛᴇ Wᴀʟʟᴀᴄᴇ's ᴏғғɪᴄᴇ is dark and dim as Jasper steps inside

Dᴀɴᴛᴇ Wᴀʟʟᴀᴄᴇ's ғғɪᴄᴇ is dark and dim as Jasper steps inside. A painting is hung up behind the president as he sits at his desk working on his own piece of artwork. When the door is closed behind Jasper and beeps, Wallace places his utensils down and stares up at the scrawny teenager.

"Thank you for coming," Wallace says and stands up. "I've been told you visit Medical three or four times day asking about Clarke and Skye."

"Yeah," Jasper answers him as the older man steps around his desk to come closer. "No one will let me see them."

"That's because they're no longer here." Jasper is fiddling with the back of a seat before he hears this and stills himself to stare at Wallace. "Clarke and Skye ran away. I tried to convince Clarke that she was safe here. But she couldn't stop looking for enemies when she was among friends. She must have convinced Skye of her paranoias."

"I'm sorry," Jasper says, "I don't meant to be disrespectful, but Clarke and Skye wouldn't just abandon us."

He knew for sure that Skye wouldn't leave him. Not on her own accord.

"I wish it wasn't the case."

Jasper shrugged.

"Well, are you looking for them?"

"I can't risk the lives of my people to bring back someone who doesn't wanna be here. I hope you can understand that."

Jasper voice is a soft whisper as Wallace walks to stand closer to him, "Yeah."

He knew that even though Skye and Clarke had their differences, their need to protect all of their people over powered all of their senses. Being trapped in this mountain where they can't know what or who is left on the outside just didn't suit them.

"What I can do is let you go after them yourself."

Jasper didn't really like the idea of that. All of the terrible things the Grounders did to him come flooding back into the forefront of his mind.

"Can I come back?" Jasper asks.

"Of course you can. Jasper, this is your home now. You're welcome to stay here as long as you like." Dante Wallace placed his hand on Jasper's shoulder comfortingly before walking over to the door. "Let me know what you decide."

Jasper nods and walks out of the president's office.

···

Skye Davis could hardly sleep through the night. She was worried if Clarke made it out without any fatal injuries and if she was able to find someone who could help. Her never ending worry about Bellamy and Murphy plagued her as she tried to find a comfortable position against the metal of the cage. It wasn't just the worry that kept her awake, but the groans of the Grounders who surrounded her. The sounds never ceased. It reminded her of the ever present hum of the Ark she would hear up in the Skybox, but up there she could trick her brain into ignoring the machinery. The groans of humans was more difficult.