Father's day- part two

Pete enters the flat, followed by Rose, the Warden and the Doctor. He puts the vase down next to the door. 

Pete: There we go. Sorry about the mess. If you want a cup of tea, the kitchen's just down there, milk's in the fridge... well, it would be, wouldn't it? Where else would you put the milk? Mind you, there's always the window sill outside. I always thought if someone invented a window sill with special compartments, you know, one for milk, one for yogurt... make a lot of money out of that. 

Rose still cannot tear her eyes away from him. She smiles at him in delight as he speaks. The Doctor nods politely behind her. The Warden set his judgemental eyes on Rose. 

Pete: Sell it to students and things... I should write that down. Anyway, never mind that, excuse me... 

He pushes past them and disappears through a door. Rose looks around. 

Rose: All the stuff mum kept. His stuff. She kept it all packed away in boxes in the cupboard, she used to show me when she'd had a bit to drink. 

The Doctor leans against the doorframe, saying nothing. 

Rose: Here it is. On display. Where it should be. 

The Doctor and The Warden still say nothing. They just watches her with their arms folded. They look angry. Rose picks up a trophy and shows it to them. 

Rose: Third prize at the bowling... first two got to go to Didcot. 

She examines it for a few more seconds, then replaces it. Her eye is drawn by a large bottles in the corner of the room. She bends down the look at it. 

Rose: Health drinks. Tonics, mum used to call them. He made his money selling this Vitex stuff. He had all sorts of jobs. He's so clever. 

Still, they say nothing. Rose looks around and spots some plans on the table. 

Rose: Solar power. Mum said he was gonna do this. Now he can. 

Rose looks at the Doctor, smiling. He does not smile back. 

Rose: Okay, look... I'll tell him neither of you are my boyfriend. 

The Doctor: When we met, I said "travel with me in space". You said no. 

The Warden: Then I said "time machine". 

Rose: It wasn't some big plan. I just saw it happening and I thought... I can stop it. 

The Doctor: I did it again. I picked another stupid ape. I should've known. It's not about showing you the universe - it never is. It's about the universe doing something for you. 

Rose: So it's okay when you go to other times, and you save people's lives, but not when it's me saving my dad. 

The Warden: We know what we're doing, you don't. Two sets of us being there made that a vulnerable point. 

Rose: But he's alive! 

The Doctor: Our entire planet died. Our whole family. Do you think it never occurred to us to go back and save them? 

Rose: But it's not like I've changed history. Not much, I mean... he's never gonna be a world leader, he's not gonna start World War Three or anything... 

The Warden takes a few steps towards her. He spoke softly, as if talking to an upset child

The Warden: Rose, there's a man alive in the world who wasn't alive before. An ordinary man, that's the most important thing in creation. The whole world's different because he's alive. 

Rose: What, would you rather him dead? 

The Doctor: He's not saying that... 

Rose then spoke directly to The Doctor.

Rose: No, I get it! For once, you're not the most important man in my life. 

The Warden: Yikes.

The Doctor: Let's see how you get on without me, then, give me the key. He holds his hand out. 

Rose stares at him. 

The Doctor: The TARDIS key. If I'm so insignificant, give it me back. 

The Warden: Umm, I'm here too-

Rose: -All right then, I will. She slaps it down into his hand, hard. 

The Doctor: Well, you've got what you wanted so that's goodbye then. 

He turns on her and walks down the hallway to the door. Rose pursues him. 

The Warden: Are we seriously leaving her stranded in the 80s?

Rose: You don't scare me. 

She stands in front of him, between him and the door. 

Rose: I know how sad you are. You'll be back in a minute. Or you'll hang around outside the TARDIS waiting for me. 

The Doctor looks at her for a few moments, then pushes past her, opening the door. Rose's voice rises. 

Rose: And I'll make you wait a long time! 

The Warden mouths 'sorry' to her. She slams the door shut after him, and then leans against the wall breathing heavily. 

Pete pokes his head around the bedroom door. 

Pete: Boyfriend trouble? 

Rose doesn't answer. Still fuming, the Doctor walks back down the road with the Warden. The distorted, red, aerial view watches him. The alien point of view focuses on a woman pegging out her washing- an old tramp sitting propped up against a wall, drinking- a man pruning his hedges. It closes in on the man. He shouts and his sheers fall the the ground. The woman pegging out her washing screams, dropping the clothes. The tramp's drink falls to the floor. At the flat, Rose is picking up peanuts that are strewn over the coffee table, and putting them back on a plate. Pete enters, dressed in a suit. 

Pete: Excuse me, do you mind? What're you tidying up for? Rose stops. 

Rose: Sorry... force of habit. 

Pete: Listen, don't worry about him. Couples have rows all the time. 

Rose: We're not a couple. Why does everyone think we're a couple? Besides, The Warden looks way younger... I think they left me. 

Pete: What, a pretty girl like you? If I was going out with you... 

Rose: Stop! Right there! 

Pete: I was just saying... 

Rose: I know what you're saying, and we're not going there. At no point are we going anywhere near there. You aren't even aware that there exists. 

Pete looks as though he is finding this hard to follow. 

Rose: I don't even want to think about there, and believe me, neither do you. there... for you... is like... pfft, it's like the Bermuda Triangle. 

Pete: Blimey, you know how to flatter a bloke. Rose jumped up and offered her arm to Pete.

Rose: Right, are we off? 

Pete: So, that wouldn't be a mixed signal at all. 

ROSE: Absolutely not. 

Pete sighs and takes her arm resignedly. They walk to the door. 

Pete: I'll take you back to the loony bin where you belong. Still, I'm sure I've met you somewhere before...