[PROLOGUE]

I'm tearing away
Pieces are falling,
I can't seem to make them stay
You run away
Faster and faster,
You can't seem to get away
Break

Hope there's a reason
For questions unanswered
I just don't see everything
Yes, I'm inside you
Tell me how does it feel
To feel like this
Just like I do

I don't care about anyone else but me

Do I really want this
Sometimes I scare myself
I just can't let it go
Can you believe it
Everything happens for reasons
I just don't know

I don't care about anyone else but me
or anything but me
Goddamn I love me

I don't care about anyone else but me
I don't care about anyone or anything

I don't care about anyone else but me

[Drowning Pool] [Tear Away] [2001]

[Y/N]

I don't remember much of what happened in that house. I think I either blocked it out, or I was fighting against the drug. I'm not sure...and I didn't dwell much on it these days. I thought that some of me had died when I'd been kidnapped, tortured, and worse...but that wasn't true.

I failed. There's no need to sugarcoat it. No matter how hard I fought. No matter how much I trained...she was always one step ahead of me. At every turn, she had a sick plan in place.

I thought I was getting better...sort of. I began to trust a few people again. I worked with others...I had been working on things with my mother. I thought about what I could do with the rest of my life instead of making it until the end.

I even had relatively normal girl problems, or what I think are typical girl problems. I'm not sure how many can say they were dealing with feelings for a supersoldier and a vigilante...I even had my first kiss. None of that matters now, but at the time, it was nice. Confusing...but it wasn't painful—and odd reprieve from fighting my sister.

Yeah, it sounds pathetic, I guess. But I never had much of a life before I had been abducted. I was to tell a guy how I felt before it happened. That's not important now. None of it is. Not anymore. It's time I accept that I'm not normal. I can't have a life. Every time something good happened, I was brought back down and reminded of what had been taken from me...of what I've been made to be because of it.

She was able to hurt me with reminders. She knew things I must have repressed because she had been a part of it. Did she physically do the torture or assault? No. She kept her hands clean...but she had been dating Russo or manipulating him into thinking she loved him; I'm not sure...

She's planned this for years, recruiting enemies and powerful allies...as brave and badass as I'd like to think I am, I'm not sure what to make of Kilgrave. Jessica told me that his powers have grown beyond controlling minds. We're not sure how...I mean, he was able to incapacitate Captain America. Twice.

She killed our parents...I'm still not sure how she got to our father. He had a successful surgery. She made sure I was under Kilgrave's control when she'd done it...but my mother...that was right in front of me. I couldn't stop her...and Nailah knew it. When I felt the blade sink into my flesh, I was sure I was dead. I had hoped that I was.

I didn't want to live anymore. I'm unsure how I feel about life and death, especially now. When Steve Rogers saved my life, I've become harder to kill. And yet...I've only brought pain and misery to those around me. I'm not worth it. I don't know why anyone would want to be associated with me. It's better to get out while you can...

As soon as I could be alone, I decided to leave. I will end this myself so that no one else gets hurt. I had only meant to jump out of the window. I wasn't used to the strength I'd gained. The way I left was ridiculous and dramatic.

I dropped down to the street below. On my feet. Like a cat. Okay. I remembered that my father had left an apartment for me that I hadn't had the chance to see. I guess I have the time now. I make my way over there. It's spacious, and he's set up a training room for me. There were books...so many books...a nerve center. A television area, but with multiple screens. A fully stocked kitchen...

I thought I would feel something as I went through these rooms. I noticed that he must have met with Frank because my weaponry was here, and my clothes were. My laptop. There was only one photo of my parents on the desk in the nerve center—no emotional response. I guess I've finally shut down. Hm.

After I settled in, I took a shower and inspected my wounds...they were slowly healing...I realized it when my stitches hadn't opened when I jumped. Granted, if I had bled out on the pavement, I wouldn't even care. That's where I am now. I had to detach myself from everything and everyone...I only want one thing, and I will not stop until I get it.

Vengeance.